Author Topic: One of those days!  (Read 982 times)

Offline wolfheze

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
One of those days!
« on: April 21, 2018, 09:40:24 PM »

Had been trying to arrange a trip down to Southampton for a few weeks to have a look at an RD400. It was finally agreed I would go down today and as the weather had picked up I chose to take the St 1300 rather than the car. Took the cover off , fitted the top box for my girlfriend as she prefers it on because she knows she can't fall off the back. At this point I remembered that it was on a sorn, dug out the V11 reminder form and tried to tax It. Couldn't do it because the reminder was now out of date and needed to find the V5 in order to do it. Searched through boxes of paperwork but couldn't find it. Ended up ringing the DVLA and paying for a new one so it could now be taxed. That done we got kitted up and got on the bike. Key in the ignition, turned it on and pressed the starter button and nothing, bloody battery was flat despite it being charged at regular intervals during the winter. Reconnected the charger and gave it an hour, still wouldn't turn over. Thought I know I'll bump start it instead so girlfriend pushed me down the road with me paddling with my legs to help. Into 2nd clutch out and it started. Turned on the sat nav to put in my destination and the touch screen didn't work, oh well I thought, I know how to get to Southampton from Rugby and i can ring the guy with the RD when i get there for directions to his house and by then the battery will be charged. The ride down wasn't the greatest, traffic was heavy and I was a bit rusty after 5 months off the bike. An hour and a half into the journey my ears began to get quite painful, I'd bought an alpinestars skull cap to wear under my helmet so the lining would stay a bit fresher but the mesh bits were making my ears feel like they were ablaze! Tolerated it for as long as I could then pulled over to make the phone call and get the helmet off to relieve my ear's for 5 minutes. Phone call made and back on the bike, wouldn't start so what I thought was a flat battery was a knackered one. Bump started again, got to the house which luckily was on slight hill, parked up and went to look at the 400. That done we push started ok and set off back home. Needed to stop for fuel and that meant yet another push start only this time it wouldn't. After pushing and paddling with no success I wanted to get off and put a match to the bloody thing. Luckily someone offered to help push and it started. We needed a drink by then and went and got drinks in the service area but had to sit outside next to the bike with the engine running as I couldn't risk switching it off again. 2 hours later we got back home, tired with no feeling left in my  arse. Had a quick tap on the sat nav and hey presto, it decided to work again! So now am faced with shelling out for another battery and I didn't buy the RD anyway. Fair to say I've had better day's.

Postscript.  Predictably I found the V5 for the ST but now can't find the one for the 550!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 12:00:11 PM by wolfheze »

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: One of those days!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 09:53:48 PM »
Motorcycling, don't you just love it  ;D ;D ;D
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 10:00:00 PM »
Its nice to know I'm not the only one  ;D
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 10:19:32 PM »
Absolute c%#t of a day! Nightmare tales like that remind me why I will never own a bike without a kickstart!

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 10:20:34 PM »
A bad day on the bike beats a good day in work.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 10:29:56 PM »
They give us something to do and stop us from getting bored,  I suppose.

I've got a Triumph speed triple with a metallurgically challenged starter sprag clutch ( shite in other words) so all bump start. If you don't get it going first time it'll usually backfire,  which it did inside the Isle of Wight ferry once, dogs were howling,  kids crying,  it was like a bomb gone off.  :-[

And again outside Chelsea barracks, car alarms went off,  "security" from the gate came out with real guns!  :-[ :-[ :-[

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2018, 10:41:50 PM »
My Pegaso has a self destructing sprag clutch and it makes a hell of a bang at times.
It makes me cringe as it sounds very metallic 
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline haynes66

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2018, 10:47:43 PM »
ah, takes me back!  i had a reliant scimitar like that once. bit heavy to push...
honda firestorm
silverwing 600 scooter
honda britain project
phil read rep project
YGS1 80cc yamaha
LE Velocette

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 11:57:10 PM »
Yep, I can relate to your bad day. See my thread about a disaster! Buy a Mottabatt, great battery  :)
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline wolfheze

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2018, 04:23:55 AM »
That's what it Is! Have had 3 of them on different bike's and until now never had any problems, infact I put one on the 550  3weeks ago. Can only think I  left it too long between charges and it discharged so much it wouldn't recover. The ST has the Honda hiss imobiliser which is a bit power hungry.  I'm hoping that a good session on the ctec might recover it and that it wouldn't charge from the alternator because it was being given too much too quickly. Hope so because it's a pig to access, when I fitted it last year I made the mistake of connecting the terminals in the wrong order and caused a short which blew the inline fuse which cost £50 to replace!

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2018, 08:24:47 AM »
+1 on the Motobatt.   A great battery, I put one on the BMW and it hasn't let me down once.  They're a right pain in the arse to fit though.   You have to fit the terminals yourself and the screws supplied were the wrong size so I had to find some M5 or M6 (can't remember which) Allen screws and cut them to size.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2018, 08:36:45 AM »
I bought my guzzi 3 years ago with a totally duff motobatt I just wouldn't hold any charge at all.
After being on charge at around 1amp for sometime its been great since.
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2018, 01:19:52 PM »
Sounds like one of my days, what a pain in the butt

Cheers

Dennis
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline wolfheze

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2018, 09:36:11 AM »
So with the battery charged and the St packed for an overnight  stay in Exmouth I pressed the starter button and hey presto, BUGGER ALL!  The battery has been on the ctec for the last couple of weeks and was showing a full charge but obviously is knackered. Time for yet another one.

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2018, 10:50:09 AM »
My cbx750 did this last week and all symptoms pointed to the battery but everything checked out. 

Jumped it from a car and still the same,  had a look at starter as solenoid was clicking but battery voltage was going down as I tried start with voltmeter on it.

It was the starter motor brushes worn down to chuff all!   :(

Rebuilt and now all a ok  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal