Author Topic: Tapping nosie  (Read 2205 times)

Offline MarkCR750

• Professional half wit and member
  • SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Tapping nosie
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2018, 11:47:09 AM »
Easy mistake though Bryan, it really does sound like someone tapping an anvil with a toffee hammer 🙂
Suzuki GT250A (Nostalgia)
1977 K7 CR750 (lookalike, what of I’m not sure)
Ducati 900SS (Soul & Speed)
Ducati M900 Monster (Handling & character)
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
James Captain 197 (pure adrenaline, i.e. no brakes!)
"Eff yir gitten awvestear yir gooin te farst"
Sir J.Stewart.

Greebo

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2018, 03:01:11 PM »
Not yet it's my mates bike and he's away at minute

Hi Yozz....has your mate been back to see Steve yet about this rattling noise ?

Offline yozzer74

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2018, 05:29:06 PM »
He's taking it over next week Steve told him not to start it again till he's over there with

Offline yozzer74

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2018, 10:55:50 PM »
What's people's thoughts on this .the tapping noise turned out to be one of the oil feed head barrel bolts being loose .So not getting oil to top end. It's my mates bike he had the top end built by rother classics .he charged him 300 pounds originally for the work .he said it wasn't his fault he only built the engine .surely he should have checked this before rebuilding it. So my mate let him sort that problem. Out at a cost of 700 pounds for him to take engine out and strip the top end again and fix the problem. He didn't get the bike running for that price. Just put engine back in and carbs back on .So when my mate got it all back together. Guess what oil leak from inside the head .So took bike back over to rother classics .to only be told it's nothing he's done .he says it's leaking from one of the cam tower studs .So he's a thousand pounds in and bike still no good .were should he go from here .

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2018, 07:37:36 AM »
If he's got the required skills to work on these engines he seems intent on not revealing them to his customer!

A business doesn't really work like that, you'd expect a reasonable appraisal before work of the projected outcome and if it requires additional steps/costs to complete a competent repair, then that discussion should indicate the full picture prior to taking on the work.

If he encountered difficulty during the work,  then he should have gone back to client indicating a revision was needed to succeed.

He doesn't seem to be taking into account that (besides wanting the job done correctly)  these bikes have the consideration of not being able to work on the top end in situ.  Makes it even more important to get it right as further work involves the labour of dismantling the bike. 

The original problem,  if the engine builder says it's not his fault then I don't see that as a good basis for preceeding if you can't even guarantee that you've torqued all the head studs correctly.  That's if I've understood it correctly.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2018, 09:09:50 AM »
A top end rebuild for £300 ! The parts alone would cost nearly that  ;)

Offline yozzer74

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2018, 09:10:53 AM »
That was just labour no parts

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2018, 09:14:40 AM »
That was just labour no parts

Are you saying that he had it rebuilt using no new parts or machine work ?

Offline yozzer74

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2018, 09:15:17 AM »
Top end already stripped head had been skimmed. New guides & rings .gasket set provided.

Offline yozzer74

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2018, 09:21:43 AM »
Trigger I was interested to know your view on it was.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2018, 09:22:04 AM »
Top end already stripped head had been skimmed. New guides & rings .gasket set provided.

I have just read though this thread and K2-K6 asked, if there was oil getting to the top end and you replied yes. And then you stated that the head barrel bolts being loose so, not getting oil to the top end. Confusing ! Seems to be half a story and half a job  ;)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2018, 09:24:30 AM »
Trigger I was interested to know your view on it was.

It is hard to comment as i have never seen the engine and have no idea of what work has been done in detail !

Offline yozzer74

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2018, 09:26:34 AM »
Yes when we got the bike running there was oil to top end oil was coming out of the tappit covers when removed .which is what mine was like .it was the engine builder who said there wasn't enough oil ?? To the top end. 

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2018, 09:39:37 AM »
Yes when we got the bike running there was oil to top end oil was coming out of the tappit covers when removed .which is what mine was like .it was the engine builder who said there wasn't enough oil ?? To the top end.

Still all confusing !

To me a engine re build is the whole engine.
I will say that i do spend a lot of time correcting others work as, everyone seems to be starting up restoration shops everywhere, who don't have a clue what they are doing.

Offline yozzer74

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2018, 09:42:53 AM »
I just think he's paid a 1000 pounds out just in labour no parts .he's got a engine that's still no good which can't be right .

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal