Author Topic: clutch troubles  (Read 590 times)

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
  • never ever buy a basket case again!
    • View Profile
clutch troubles
« on: May 06, 2018, 09:32:12 AM »
Aaargh just having spent time adjusting points/timing etc set off for ride and didn't make back gate. No clutch action, cable intact and in correct slots either end but on removing clutch adjustment cover the spring is fully extended and won't return 😒 any ideas . I've attached a photo to illustrate, I fear clutch gone somewhere inside.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: clutch troubles
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 09:36:50 AM »
First thing to try is remove the clutch cable from the bottom end and see if the arm drops down. If it doesn't, you're going to have to remove the clutch cover for further investigation.

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline billywingnut

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 07:03:06 PM »
I had similar problems with clutch adjustment. Having checked everything during engine rebuild the clutch operated from the lever then after several squeezes it would make a snap noise and look just like your photo.  I slackend the cable then used a screwdriver to lever the arm back into position. I had the adjuster bolt set too far out. careful adjustment stopped this happening. The operating plate 'with the three balls' was jumping out which caused the snap to happen. I hope this makes sense.

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 09:36:57 PM »
If you have to remove the cover, it's easier to lean the bike over so you don't have to drain the oil.  I've done a clutch replacement in 20 minutes like this.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 07:42:17 AM »
Cheers Billy and Mike. Your description Billy is exactly what it felt like so that makes me a bit more positive, you too Mike ,my thoughts were I'd have to drop the oil . I'll try your fix first Billy before going deeper

Offline billdn

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 05:54:25 PM »
Billy wingnut you're a genius worked perfectly Cheers👍

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal