Author Topic: Almost ready for MOT  (Read 706 times)

Offline billywingnut

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Almost ready for MOT
« on: May 06, 2018, 07:18:34 PM »
My 400f 4  is almost ready for MOT. The only thing I'm not happy with is the front brake lever. Though not spongy it has more travel than I would like. I have fitted the bushing to the caliper which was missing. I have fitted master cyl kit, pads brake seals etc. Have bled the brake several times carefully. It stops ok but the feel could be better. anybody got any ideas

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Almost ready for MOT
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 07:25:41 PM »
Silly question, I assume you have adjusted the caliper clearance properly?

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline PatM

• SOHC Member
  • 2001 R1, Triumph 1200 and the little 400/4!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 08:23:07 PM »
Im assuming you cant pull the leaver right back to the handle-bar? if you can, then theres air in the system still.
Id also add that it took about 500 miles for my front pads to bed before the brake was anyway near acceptable! As I only use my 400 as a toy, that was 2 years or so.

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 11:37:50 AM »
Assuming you have checked those points outlined by the other posters, caliper clearance adjustment and bedded in pads, then you could try pumping the lever a dozen times, and keep it squeezed at the last pump, then bung a tie-wrap around the lever and grip without letting go.  Leave it overnight and see if you get any improvement.  The minute air bubbles in the fluid are compressed and eventually find their way to the reservoir.  This is about the only way I can get a decent pedal on my GL1500 rear brake but I hang a big weight on the foot brake lever overnight.

Ian

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 01:20:04 PM »
Adding to the good advice already given; the first part of the lever stroke should shut off the fluid route back into the master cylinder in order too push the fluid down to the caliper.
If this is in any way "lazy " part of the lever stroke is used prior to acting on the caliper. If you look into the MC while actuating the brake lever you can see if you get any significant amount of fluid going back the wrong way (make sure you don't risk fluid coming out the top and onto your tank etc). If this is happening then you are looking at how supple the seal is and the cleanliness of its sealing surface when assembled.

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
  • ZZR1100D9, CB750K4, RD250F, NSR250MC21, RD350YPVS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 10:13:10 PM »
Have you fitted new brake lines? The old ones could be weak and bulging when the pressure is on them..... new ones will be totally solid. If you grab the old brake line, hold it tight and then squeeze the brake lever you may feel the line bulging...
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 10:15:34 PM by Rob62 »

Offline billywingnut

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 06:10:23 PM »
Thanks for all the comments and advice
A new lever from DSS made all the difference in terms of lever travel, I'm happy with it Now. I did replace all lines seals, washers pads etc. If anything the brake needs backing off now.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal