Author Topic: Trail bikes  (Read 475 times)

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Trail bikes
« on: May 13, 2018, 04:16:27 PM »
Spent the weekend doing trails on an old Honda CRM 250 and a new KTM 350 enduro, had an absolute blast.

I’m interested in getting something road legal (day MOT would do) that I can use around the countryside on and off road. I’ve been offered an old Yamaha Xt225 but I think I’ll find it a bit small (I’m 6’ and 100kg).

Anyone here into this kind of stuff? What cheap old bikes are out there still going strong worth looking at?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 04:46:00 PM by Underdog1 »

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Trail bikes
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 05:13:55 PM »
Probably doesn't fit the cheap category but good bike nonetheless. 

Also Honda SOHC  ;D

https://zcarsales.com/item/honda-xr-400-r-1997-p-reg-road-legal-enduro-style-motorbike--57002

Some good servicing and fettling would make sure all running ok.
As you feel the little fourtstrokes like theYam you've indicaticeted will probably feel quite weasy for your someone of your stature.  They generally get more fun as two stroke reaches 250cc and fourtstrokes reach 400cc

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 06:13:17 PM »
Probably doesn't fit the cheap category but good bike nonetheless. 

Also Honda SOHC  ;D

https://zcarsales.com/item/honda-xr-400-r-1997-p-reg-road-legal-enduro-style-motorbike--57002

Some good servicing and fettling would make sure all running ok.
As you feel the little fourtstrokes like theYam you've indicaticeted will probably feel quite weasy for your someone of your stature.  They generally get more fun as two stroke reaches 250cc and fourtstrokes reach 400cc
Yeah something like that would be perfect although as you said it’s a little too much for me

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 06:51:18 PM »
Those Yamaha have a good reputation but a ride would confirm if you felt it too small.  The one's you've ridden have a much more potent capability compared to the yam.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KAWASAKI-KDX200-KDX200-EVO-VINDURO-ENDURO-CLASSIC-TWINSHOCK-MOTOCROSS/222977336614?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D50546%26meid%3D04c31203c1ea4869a8baffd7526cf303%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D361476599580%26itm%3D222977336614&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850

Don't know how this above compares to your budget?  But one of the best ever bikes in that capacity class and punches well above its weight for size and power. Really tough engine also.

Be easier to run road, mot etc with an enduro as you've no road legalities to complete to get you going.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 07:07:45 PM »
Depends on if you want to poddle down under tarred roads where most 4 stroke 250's are pretty comfortable. I did a spell tour guiding on tail bikes with Trail rides Wales, they had at the time a couple of Drz400 Suzukis and some Crf250L Hondas, a new Yamaha 250 trail bike and an aging Honda Crf230, the 230 was in my books the best, they also had a Rejhu 300 or something of that ilk, Yamaha engine in a cheap Spanish Chasis, was like a pogo stick, naff suspension, fragile starter motor. The also had tried a couple of Ccm 250s, disgarded them after a swing arm snapped on a ride, rest of it was not good quality. Guided by their experience I would look to a Honda, come off it, the plastics survive far better than most other bikes, air cooled again simpler and more robust, ride off road, you will come off now and again, radiators break sometimes. Shame is that air cooled are getting sidelined by manufacturers as emissions are hard to get right. I am focusing on trail bikes rather than endure, because that is what I know a  bit about. That are less tuned for power etc but last that bit longer, ridden well the guys running the company had Suzuki Dr125 for learners and if the bosses were riding it, it was capable of leaving every other bike behind if the rest of us were only experienced on road bikes, even I could keep the 125 up with the pack and off road I was a comparative novice. For me the Drz was plain too big, but at 6 foot and 100 kilo a bike that big might appeal to you, capacity counts for a lot less off road. I have a old Kwak Kl250 for myself, still at the project phase. Do a bit of research on the model, the KL I have for example are prone to eat their cam bearings and finding a good head was a quest, luckily I found someone able and willing to machine out the chewed cam bearing area and insert a phosphor bronze insert to redeem the head saving what was the worst of 4 dead heads the bike came with. 2 stokes are lighter and faster, depends on what you are after - if you are on lanes where you may be sharing with horses or walkers and livestock, then keeping it moderate is a good thing. Also it helps keep lanes in good order. If you want to unleash a beast off road, look for a pay and play site as those bikes often get green lanes closed pretty fast if you open the taps.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 09:00:06 PM »
Depends on if you want to poddle down under tarred roads where most 4 stroke 250's are pretty comfortable. I did a spell tour guiding on tail bikes with Trail rides Wales, they had at the time a couple of Drz400 Suzukis and some Crf250L Hondas, a new Yamaha 250 trail bike and an aging Honda Crf230, the 230 was in my books the best, they also had a Rejhu 300 or something of that ilk, Yamaha engine in a cheap Spanish Chasis, was like a pogo stick, naff suspension, fragile starter motor. The also had tried a couple of Ccm 250s, disgarded them after a swing arm snapped on a ride, rest of it was not good quality. Guided by their experience I would look to a Honda, come off it, the plastics survive far better than most other bikes, air cooled again simpler and more robust, ride off road, you will come off now and again, radiators break sometimes. Shame is that air cooled are getting sidelined by manufacturers as emissions are hard to get right. I am focusing on trail bikes rather than endure, because that is what I know a  bit about. That are less tuned for power etc but last that bit longer, ridden well the guys running the company had Suzuki Dr125 for learners and if the bosses were riding it, it was capable of leaving every other bike behind if the rest of us were only experienced on road bikes, even I could keep the 125 up with the pack and off road I was a comparative novice. For me the Drz was plain too big, but at 6 foot and 100 kilo a bike that big might appeal to you, capacity counts for a lot less off road. I have a old Kwak Kl250 for myself, still at the project phase. Do a bit of research on the model, the KL I have for example are prone to eat their cam bearings and finding a good head was a quest, luckily I found someone able and willing to machine out the chewed cam bearing area and insert a phosphor bronze insert to redeem the head saving what was the worst of 4 dead heads the bike came with. 2 stokes are lighter and faster, depends on what you are after - if you are on lanes where you may be sharing with horses or walkers and livestock, then keeping it moderate is a good thing. Also it helps keep lanes in good order. If you want to unleash a beast off road, look for a pay and play site as those bikes often get green lanes closed pretty fast if you open the taps.

The DRZ400 appeals to me but again I think they’re a little put my price range, did some calling around some farmer friends earlier and I’ve been offered two non running CRM250’s, probably going to try and make a goer out the both of them. If I have no such luck then I’ll prpbably have to post pone things until I can afford something more

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal