Author Topic: Truing wheels, tyre selection and balancing  (Read 1820 times)

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Truing wheels, tyre selection and balancing
« on: May 27, 2018, 11:14:27 AM »
Looking at sorting a set of K6 wheels out, currently they are sat in the garage stripped down with no bearings in (hub spikes and rim are still assembled). End goal is to have them powdercoater Black.

My plan of action is to remove the old tyres, purchase new tyres, stick the new bearings in, get the naked wheel trued, fit new tyres, balance wheels, mark position of new tyres, remove tyres and bearings, get wheels  powdercoated as a single piece, refit tyres as per reference marks.

I understand a ‘better’ option would be to get the wheels relaced with black spokes and get just the hub and rims powdercoated but this is a lot more expensive and for something that’s only going to get light use I don’t think I’ll be adjusting spokes any time soon anyway.

Does this sequence of events seem about right? To get the wheels trued/balanced  how assembled do they need to be.. e.g discs sprockets cushdrive fitted etc

Finally what are some common tyre choices? I’m after something that look a little knobbly but not so much they will handle like a custard filled condom.. I like the Firestone ANS a lot but the price is rediculuous.

What’s out there that’s similar for a more realistic price? Best I've seen so far is the Dunlop K70
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 11:32:26 AM by Underdog1 »

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Truing wheels, tyre selection and balancing
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 11:18:08 AM »
Not a good idea to powder coat with bearings in as they wont like the 400 deg heat

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 11:24:08 AM »
Not a good idea to powder coat with bearings in as they wont like the 400 deg heat

Plan on pulling them out before powder coating mate

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 12:08:44 PM »
The only way to get bearings is to tap from the middle, which renders them scrap on safety grounds.

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 12:43:06 PM »
The only way to get bearings is to tap from the middle, which renders them scrap on safety grounds.

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

surely using a blind bearing puller is fine?

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 12:58:25 PM »
Not if it pulls on the inner race, the bearings will suffer if you try, and will almost certainly fail prematurely if you re fit them. Sorry, but that's the way bearings are, the wheel bearings are not designed for sideways load.
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 01:17:56 PM »
Given the cost of bearings (about £6 a piece), false economy not to replace them into..

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2018, 01:43:36 PM »
Not if it pulls on the inner race, the bearings will suffer if you try, and will almost certainly fail prematurely if you re fit them. Sorry, but that's the way bearings are, the wheel bearings are not designed for sideways load.

Given the cost of bearings (about £6 a piece), false economy not to replace them into..

I have a new set of sealed bearings to go in, but the old ones are already out and i need a set in the wheels to get them trued and balanced.

Have managed to find the old ones so will press them back in. might even leave them in for powder coating and then replace them to make sure no powder coat goes inside the hubs

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2018, 01:53:58 PM »
If you are really lucky and heat the hub enough but not too much then the bearing might come out really easily. On the other hand if you are not lucky the heat from powdercoat might distort the trued up wheel. Cannot say I have ever tried anything around powdercoating but I have a feeling that painting the whole lot up in 1 lump is going to  end up being a false economy over painting each part and assembling. Given it's a cosmetic process I would be most worried about the paint cracking, chipping or flaking once in use at each point parts meet, let alone the disheartening effect if a spoke does need tightening after it's powdercoated together. Would work out more expensive if it all needs to come appart and be 're done. If I were just spray painting it I would risk it, less to loose.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2018, 02:08:44 PM »
If you are really lucky and heat the hub enough but not too much then the bearing might come out really easily. On the other hand if you are not lucky the heat from powdercoat might distort the trued up wheel. Cannot say I have ever tried anything around powdercoating but I have a feeling that painting the whole lot up in 1 lump is going to  end up being a false economy over painting each part and assembling. Given it's a cosmetic process I would be most worried about the paint cracking, chipping or flaking once in use at each point parts meet, let alone the disheartening effect if a spoke does need tightening after it's powdercoated together. Would work out more expensive if it all needs to come appart and be 're done. If I were just spray painting it I would risk it, less to loose.

fair comment and this was the original route i was going to go down. However after contacting a couple of companies and getting it priced up off the top of my head it was going to cost £400+ to have the hubs and rims powder coated and relacld with black spokes which i felt was outrageous.

If anyone can point me in the right direction of some black spokes for a reasonable cost then perhaps i can lace them myself and then get a pro to just true the wheel for me

EDIT: just looked through my emails and central wheels were going to charge m £350 per wheel! Devon rim company was unwilling to use any parts provided by me so wanted to use brand new rims and hubs.

David silver supplies spoke sets for £35 each inc nipples, although these are in silver. the only place I've found black spokes available is through central wheels which are £101 per set, with another £19 per wheel for the nipples. Id love black spokes but that really is too much.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 03:10:14 PM by Underdog1 »

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2018, 06:25:12 PM »
Cripey! That's a bit of a cost! Rattle can black over standard wheels and powdercoat rims if it were me. I think mordant T wash solution then special metals primer should stick to the galvy spokes, if lucky you can 're use originals with care, if they are in good shape to start with. Rebuild at home at minimal cost, I resorted to that on my sidecar bike when the rear drum lining cracked, had to strip it to fit the hub on the lathe and 're line the drum. Virtually no cost in cash terms but a lot of time.....
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2018, 06:52:28 PM »
Might be worth getting a set of spokes black anodized and have a go at lacing the wheels yourself. It’s not as hard as it looks. The hard part is truing them up...

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2018, 07:54:42 PM »
Might be worth getting a set of spokes black anodized and have a go at lacing the wheels yourself. It’s not as hard as it looks. The hard part is truing them up...

The issue is finding the black spokes, the only place that seems to have them is central wheels who want £101 per wheel plus £19 per set of nipples! £240 just for black spokes!

I wonder if I could get the cheap ones DS does powdercoated (leaving the threads bare)

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2018, 06:21:02 PM »
What’s the thickest tyres you can get on without any significant mods?

I’d like a 4.50 rear and 4.00 front, like the look of thick rubber. Choices are limited though, seems to mostly be enduro tyres in those sizes!

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2018, 07:03:37 PM »
I have been looking to replace a Pirelli Phantom 120/90 18, which is not made anymore. The 120 is wider than a 4.50  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal