Author Topic: Clutch cable snapped  (Read 1164 times)

Offline jon stead

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Clutch cable snapped
« on: May 27, 2018, 09:51:55 PM »
Clutch cable snapped at the handlebar lever the other day. I’ve ordered a new cable from Silvers and decided to take the old one off in readiness. Disappointed to find the clevis on the sled, clutch lifter damaged, even though the cable was still connected and clutch operating ok. Ordered a replacement one of those as well. Just waiting now.

In the meantime I thought I’d check out the clutch push rod with a view to fitting the new one I got from Trigger last year. It seems that my set up is a little different to that shown in the CMSNL exploded diagram. There’s a short section of rod/sleeve about 8mm diameter and about 60mm long that is made up of two pieces that rotate against each other and I can’t see the long push rod anywhere.

Are there different set ups out there?
2015 Triumph Bonneville T100 Newchurch

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch cable snapped
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 09:54:36 PM »
Clutch cable snapped at the handlebar lever the other day. I’ve ordered a new cable from Silvers and decided to take the old one off in readiness. Disappointed to find the clevis on the sled, clutch lifter damaged, even though the cable was still connected and clutch operating ok. Ordered a replacement one of those as well. Just waiting now.

In the meantime I thought I’d check out the clutch push rod with a view to fitting the new one I got from Trigger last year. It seems that my set up is a little different to that shown in the CMSNL exploded diagram. There’s a short section of rod/sleeve about 8mm diameter and about 60mm long that is made up of two pieces that rotate against each other and I can’t see the long push rod anywhere.

Your pushrod is busted.
That's why you have a Trigger replacement

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Online deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 10:01:43 PM »
Just for the record: was the clutch cable genuine Honda part or aftermarket?
The CB500 clutch mechanism underwent modification. You may want to consult the various Parts Lists on this. http://www.honda4fun.com/materiale-documentazione-tecnica/parts-list/parts-list-cb500 

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 10:13:56 PM »

Your pushrod is busted.

Yep, definitely busted, that's why it's in pieces and not one whole piece.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline jon stead

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 05:50:54 AM »

Your pushrod is busted.

I need to get some pictures to explain better what I’m trying to describe in words. The section of rod/sleeve that I pulled out is two pieces that are an assembly such that one piece is free rotate against the other but stays as one piece. Like I say, doesn’t look like the CMSNL part at all.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 05:52:41 AM by jon stead »

Offline jon stead

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 05:56:11 AM »
The CB500 clutch mechanism underwent modification. You may want to consult the various Parts Lists on this. http://www.honda4fun.com/materiale-documentazione-tecnica/parts-list/parts-list-cb500

Useful link, thanks. I’ve looked at the section for the “modified” K2 USA bike and the view is the same as the CMSNL one. Nothing like what it looks like is on my bike.

I’m not sure if cable genuine Honda part or not. It was on the bike when I got it.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 05:59:23 AM by jon stead »

Offline jon stead

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 05:56:33 AM »
Thanks all for your help.

I’ll drain the oil out of the sump, pop the clutch off and see what’s going on at that side, see if I can push everything through from that side, piece it together and post some pictures on here.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 05:58:06 AM by jon stead »

Online deltarider

• SOHC Master
  • My kingdom for a turkey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 06:55:56 AM »

Useful link, thanks. I’ve looked at the section for the “modified” K2 USA bike and the view is the same as the CMSNL one. Nothing like what it looks like is on my bike.

I’m not sure if cable genuine Honda part or not. It was on the bike when I got it.

Jon, I should have been more specific. You may have a look at p.20-21 in the Parts List of model CB500K2 (ED, F, G) the K2 assembled in 1976 for the European continent. Maybe yours has received that set up somehow: http://www.honda4fun.com/pdf_parts_list/pdf_spac500/CB500-76/CB500-76_2.pdf
The pics below show what the genuine clutch cable looks like. My K2 (ED) has done 135.000 km (replaced the cable only once around 60.000 km. I have the old one here and, looking at the quality, it seems almost impossible it would ever snap. I never had any of the clutch problems that seem to occur so often on CB500s. Curious: the rod for my model still has pn: 22850-323-000 and that's why I tend to believe the rod was not the only problem but the adjuster too. The latter has also been modified. And the rod until serial no.  had pn: 22850-292-020, a part that came from the CB450. From serial no. 1018728 on pn is 22850-323-000. All this is not much help for you now, I'm afraid.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 07:34:54 AM by deltarider »

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 09:02:38 AM »
I think that the 292 rod that came from the CB450 was a solid one piece rod. The 323 part is a sandwich of three different parts. Hardened ends and ali in the long central section. But they snapped. One of my 500s had a two piece rod. The original had a steel ball inserted into perfect machined cups in the rod halves. I used it like this for 10 years as I didn't know it was supposed to be one piece and never wore at all. But when I discovered it was supposed to be one piece I blamed poor clutch engagement on it, but actually it was doing a good job and the problem was with the clutch plates.
Yes will need to take off clutch (and drain some oil, or lean the bike) to get the bit out.
The cable fitting at the lifter end is often a bit mashed.
Original cable is very good. DSS says OEM replacement. (made by original Japanese supplier)

292 rod was fitted to early CB500s up to 1018727. Was changed to 323 type. There are various reasons stated as to why this was done.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 10:46:52 PM by Seabeowner »
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

Offline Nurse Julie

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2018, 09:15:21 AM »
Blimey, this is all getting very complicated. The standard CB500 clutch push rod was 1 piece, with two hardened ends. One end has a machined cup for the ball bearing. The other end has a machined dome to fit into the mushroom. A usual 'bodge' when the rod broke and the two broken alloy ends rubbed together and wore down, was to insert another ball bearing in the gap, which is chrome, which then wears by the rotation of the rod, into the alloy surfaces, making it look like the ball bearing had been there all the time, which it had not. This constant wearing also causes swarf which is not a good thing.We have seen broken push rods that have worn so much that there have been 2 ball bearings inserted between 2 breaks, just to make up the correct length. Pure laziness, if someone can be bothered to remove all the broken parts of the push rod and insert ball bearings to make up to the correct length so it functions effectively, why not just fit a new push rod.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 09:25:07 AM by Nurse Julie »
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

Offline jon stead

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2018, 03:51:41 PM »
Ok confusion over. Took the clutch off today, removed broken section of rod, compared broken bits of rod with the one I got previously from Trigger.

My confusion arose out of. The fact that the shorter of my broken sections was in itself an assembly that allowed the two parts to rotate against each other but they weren’t separated, ifthat makes sense.

Anyway, Trigger’s rod is inserted now, never felt a thing, and I’m just waiting for the new cable and operating arm, can’t remember the official name, to arrive from DS, tomorrow or Thursday.

Offline jon stead

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2018, 08:20:05 PM »
The image shows my snapped rod with Trigger’s new one below

Offline Nurse Julie

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2018, 08:36:33 PM »
Snap (literally)   ;D

Here is a pic of a broken push rod that has a very similar look to yours. These look like machined ends but are not, it is just a rotational wear pattern.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2018, 09:24:05 PM »
Snap (literally)   ;D

Here is a pic of a broken push rod that has a very similar look to yours. These look like machined ends but are not, it is just a rotational wear pattern.

(Attachment Link)
That's a terrible pun

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline Nurse Julie

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2018, 09:31:43 PM »
Snap (literally)   ;D

(Attachment Link)
That's a terrible pun

That's good for me John, I'm not a Master of Puns like yourself  ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal