Author Topic: Steps for registering pre 77 imported bike  (Read 782 times)

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Steps for registering pre 77 imported bike
« on: June 04, 2018, 02:23:31 PM »
I see the rules have changed meaning now pre 1977 motor vehicles are no longer required to have an MOT.

Anyone know how this effects pre 77 bikes imported with NOVA certification, from my understanding one of the first steps is to get it MOT’d?

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Steps for registering pre 77 imported bike
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 02:29:59 PM »
Yes to register you will still need mot as far as I know  but mot is only £32 do no big deal you can still mot bikes that are pre mot date

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 04:43:17 PM »
Yes to register you will still need mot as far as I know  but mot is only £32 do no big deal you can still mot bikes that are pre mot date

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ok cool, was just wondering ifs could get it registered early if the MOT stage could be binned off but no great shakes.
If i've got the NOVA paperwork will i still need a dating letter from Honda?

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 04:45:47 PM »
Honda will only provide dating letter/certificate for bikes THEY brought into the U.K. so it will have to be vjmcc or similar recognised group.

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 05:04:08 PM »
Honda will only provide dating letter/certificate for bikes THEY brought into the U.K. so it will have to be vjmcc or similar recognised group.

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

I’d just been their website actually, annoyingly they need pictures of the full bike so not something I can do currently, the frame is off being blasted and coated so I hope the frame number survives!

Also it mentions that if vehicles have been modded they may end up on Q plates.. how modified does it need to be?

EDIT: Just found the photos from the original ad. Will use those as I can definitely get it on a proper age plate rather than a Q plate
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 05:38:33 PM by Underdog1 »

Offline Woodside

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 06:18:39 PM »
if you have the original usa title slip you dont need a date cert..as that has the date of first reg on it and dvla will use this..

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 07:32:39 PM »
if you have the original usa title slip you dont need a date cert..as that has the date of first reg on it and dvla will use this..

Nah i don't have that

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
  • ZZR1100D9, CB750K4, RD250F, NSR250MC21, RD350YPVS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 10:46:44 PM »
You will need a dating letter, VJMC are very quick and inexpensive for this service. But you will also need a letter from the original manufacturer stating why they cannot date the machine, so honda uk will provide a letter stating that they cannot date it as it is not on their database (being a usa bike) if you contact them. You will then need to send both off to the dvla along with an mot and payment for registration and i still believe you will initially have to pay for tax but not sure on this point... A friend of mine has just registered his gt500 as a classic machine i.e. no longer subject to tax. He had to fill in a form and show it at the post office, they dont take a copy you just show it! Then he had to pay tax and claim a refund once it is registerd. I believe the tax payable works out at something like 6 quid after you get the refund.... it seems like a complete typical government farce from what i can gather.....

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 09:46:24 AM »
But you will also need a letter from the original manufacturer stating why they cannot date the machine, so honda uk will provide a letter stating that they cannot date it as it is not on their database (being a usa bike) if you contact them
Did this last year on an import from DK. Did not need letter from Honda UK.
VJMC letter, insurance on VIN number, MOT (Prebooked, I rode it, but stuck the US plate on for a bit of identification, possibly not legal?), form V55/5 (which you cannot download and you have to get DVLA to send you a blank). VJMC will tell you which bits you need to fill in. Also send pics to DVLA. (clear frame/engine nos will help a lot.) Page 1:#2 allows you to register direct as Historic for zero tax.
In the process of doing another at this moment, waiting for DVLA form.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 09:50:10 AM by Seabeowner »
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2018, 10:32:34 AM »
But you will also need a letter from the original manufacturer stating why they cannot date the machine, so honda uk will provide a letter stating that they cannot date it as it is not on their database (being a usa bike) if you contact them
Did this last year on an import from DK. Did not need letter from Honda UK.
VJMC letter, insurance on VIN number, MOT (Prebooked, I rode it, but stuck the US plate on for a bit of identification, possibly not legal?), form V55/5 (which you cannot download and you have to get DVLA to send you a blank). VJMC will tell you which bits you need to fill in. Also send pics to DVLA. (clear frame/engine nos will help a lot.) Page 1:#2 allows you to register direct as Historic for zero tax.
In the process of doing another at this moment, waiting for DVLA form.

Perfecto. Have ordered the forms from DVLA  just need to wait to get the frame back from the powdercoaters so i can give the No. to VJMC and start the process off.

How long did it take for the DVLA side of the process in your experience?

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2018, 02:42:20 PM »
Was less than 2 weeks after I sent the forms, so well inside the time as insurance (Footman James) gave me 30 days on the VIN. I think they would extend this though if I had needed.
Phil

Offline hondarc166

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2018, 05:21:16 PM »
if you go on d silvers bikes for sale it will gothrough the details in the first section

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2018, 05:28:06 PM »
if you go on d silvers bikes for sale it will gothrough the details in the first section

'For UK registration, a V112 will replace the MOT, this is a declaration that the vehicle is MOT exempt. If you wish to purchase one of our 40+ year old US imported motorcycles on an ‘AS-IS’ basis, We can pre-UK register the vehicle for you. You will then avoid the form filling with DVLA and receive the motorcycle with an age related registration, V5 and number plate. This will take approx. 2 weeks from point of sale for a fee of £97.50 including VAT. If you are buying the motorcycle ‘On the road’ this is all included in the price of the motorcycle.'

Seems i don't need to bother with the MOT and insurance cover note palaver

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2018, 05:37:26 PM »
Underdog1, I also noticed that detail in the latest VJMC Tansha magazine. Looks like you have to choose option "r" on the V112 (but that is marked GB only so not convinced) form, and the first part calls for a Registration Number, but maybe use the VIN. Just want someone to confirm that this works. Maybe just the £55 registration fee.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 05:41:06 PM by Seabeowner »
Phil

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2018, 05:44:31 PM »
Underdog1, I also noticed that detail in the latest VJMC Tansha magazine. Looks like you have to choose option "r" on the V112 (but that is marked GB only so not convinced) form, and the first part calls for a Registration Number, but maybe use the VIN. Just want someone to confirm that this works. Maybe just the £55 registration fee.

Probably worth a phone call. I’ll get on it tomorrow.
I have photos of  the vin plate and engine numbers but not the frame number - apparently this is also needed. Is it just stamped on the neck of the frame? Better get down the blasters before they blast it off if so!

UPDATE: called the powder coated and he’s blasted the frame but just been through all my old pictures and it seems I did take a photo of it.. phew!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 05:49:44 PM by Underdog1 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal