Author Topic: deepreshun  (Read 945 times)

Offline haynes66

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
deepreshun
« on: June 09, 2018, 07:18:44 PM »
well, my plan didnt quite work. as some of you know, i've been throwing myself into two 750 restorations and also building something of a special. the idea being that i would flood out negative thoughts from the past with 'busy-ness'.  it does work for a while, but for anyone who suffers from depression knows only too well, you can only keep the 'black dog' away for so long.  the slump usually lasts for a short while with me and things generally improve reasonably quickly. but this particular slump has been a bigee, probably due the false creation of upbeat-ness by pushing myself to do things constantly.   very wearing for someone who is generally laid back, or lazy as my wife calls it.  riding has been a godsend as usual, but there have been the odd occasion where i have had to stop as i cant see through the tears; bit of a tough one for a 58 year old to admit to. but i know there are others on here who suffer in a similar way, so i'm not alone.  all bike work has come to a dead stop for some time but i'm collecting my engine cases this weekend and i'm hoping that will give me the kick in the backside that i need.
honda firestorm
silverwing 600 scooter
honda britain project
phil read rep project
YGS1 80cc yamaha
LE Velocette

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: deepreshun
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 07:28:20 PM »
Sorry to hear that Pete, I hope you find your mojo again very soon. If not, I feel I will have to do another engine strip, assessment and build thread to get you (and others that appear to have come to a complete standstill) motivated again. Summer Hollibobs not far away now.......something to look forward too.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 07:29:48 PM »
Best wishes
Take care.enjoy your riding. Use it to escape your  hassle

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline haynes66

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 10:18:22 PM »
actually, i was enjoying working on my 500 superdream project, all the cutting and filing and stuff. it's just that i tried to control my thought process by overloading my brain with things to do. but the mind is more complex than that and isnt something i can manipulate. the only thing i'm coping with right now is just sorting two lots of parts for both resto projects - two sets of footpegs, for instance; or two sets of calipers and so on. not rebuilding anything, just sorting.  i'm having to admit defeat in a way, as i thought i had found a way to deal with the negatives.  but i think it's just a case of one step at a time as before.
honda firestorm
silverwing 600 scooter
honda britain project
phil read rep project
YGS1 80cc yamaha
LE Velocette

Offline mike the bike

• SOHC Jedi
  • CB400F, Royal Enfield Interceptor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 10:47:13 PM »
I call it the Black Dog too.  I've found the only way of lifting it a bit is to do something positive.   I used to make a to-do list and tick things off it.  Having all the to-do stuff in your head just weighs you down and nothing gets done.  Feel free to think that's a load of tosh but it helps me.
Where's that 10mm socket got to?

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2018, 11:17:39 PM »
Pete, small steps - as previous posts, to do lists are good. Do small things that can be achieved and then make you feel good having achieved them. The problem for us guys (and gals) on here, is we tend to take too much on that makes a hobby into a pressure - you will get through it. Everyone's demons are different and I'm just talking generally but I'm sure you can get through it - I hope so
Good luck mate
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 12:20:59 AM »
Try and ride it out Pete.there is always light at the end of the tunnel
It takes getting  used to going through tunnels though

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline llessur

• Honda 400/4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 12:47:01 PM »
Sorry to hear of your situation. I can say I have been there and often drift back towards it.
My technique, as mentioned above, is to write a list of what I am going to do during the day, not to fill every minute, but with the knowledge that I will definitely be able to complete each task. There is then a real satisfaction as you complete each task, and do not get down because you have failed to complete everything. This way you sometimes complete the "bonus" task you had not planned to do in the extra time between other tasks, adding to the good feeling.
With regard to the bad thoughts, we have to find what works for us. As soon as I realise I am thinking them, I shout "STOP" as loud as I can in my head, then for me I imagine I have driven up to a stop sign and go through the mental visualisation of doing a U turn and heading back the way I came, looking for the jobs I have just been doing, I then pick one I liked and do it again.

I am 58, I liken my brain to a computer, occasionally I have to restart it when the screen freezes. There are mant computers you need to do this too and there are many people of all ages who have our issues

Offline UK Pete

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 12:49:20 PM »
Sorry to hear of your situation. I can say I have been there and often drift back towards it.
My technique, as mentioned above, is to write a list of what I am going to do during the day, not to fill every minute, but with the knowledge that I will definitely be able to complete each task. There is then a real satisfaction as you complete each task, and do not get down because you have failed to complete everything. This way you sometimes complete the "bonus" task you had not planned to do in the extra time between other tasks, adding to the good feeling.
With regard to the bad thoughts, we have to find what works for us. As soon as I realise I am thinking them, I shout "STOP" as loud as I can in my head, then for me I imagine I have driven up to a stop sign and go through the mental visualisation of doing a U turn and heading back the way I came, looking for the jobs I have just been doing, I then pick one I liked and do it again.

I am 58, I liken my brain to a computer, occasionally I have to restart it when the screen freezes. There are mant computers you need to do this too and there are many people of all ages who have our issues
Spot on

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline haynes66

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 05:23:27 PM »
actually, the whole mental visualization thing seemed a bit daft to me until i was practically forced by my line manager to go and sign up for some CBT. after talking to my shrink for a while, the image that works for me is the ball floating in the sea. if you try to mentally force it underwater, it keeps popping up again, so i have to imagine swimming away from it (while crying "Wilson, Wilson" in a castaway style). it's amazing how complex the mind is, and how simply imagining something can change your thought pattern to a certain extent. 

i can imagine the rest of you normal guys out there thinking  "what are these nutters talking about??"
honda firestorm
silverwing 600 scooter
honda britain project
phil read rep project
YGS1 80cc yamaha
LE Velocette

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 05:33:01 PM »
actually, the whole mental visualization thing seemed a bit daft to me until i was practically forced by my line manager to go and sign up for some CBT. after talking to my shrink for a while, the image that works for me is the ball floating in the sea. if you try to mentally force it underwater, it keeps popping up again, so i have to imagine swimming away from it (while crying "Wilson, Wilson" in a castaway style). it's amazing how complex the mind is, and how simply imagining something can change your thought pattern to a certain extent. 

i can imagine the rest of you normal guys out there thinking  "what are these nutters talking about??"
None of us are 'Normal' Pete, it is an impossibility for anything as complex as the human mind to be normal. 'Normal' is a label invented by lots of brainy people with 'ologist' or 'iatrist' at the end of their job title. Even they can't agree what 'Normal' is. Anyway, I'm pleased you and Wilson are working well together  ;D ;D
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Mike on a bike

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 09:49:18 PM »
Baby steps all the way for me, put too many things on my list and it won't get done. My project is suffering for it, the other day I made 2 very small steps on the bike after sitting and staring at it for a while. Then I felt good that I had actually done something constructive. The wife gives me tasks around the house everyday, some get done and some don't. But happy when they are done. I'm not working at the moment and struggling to find employment, I'm 61 next month, (don't get any financial support from our caring government) and most employers want younger blood, so it all adds to the overall problem. Crack on guys, the world won't stop turning.
I'm not a complete idiot.....some parts are still missing.

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 09:56:59 PM »
This is a brilliant place to talk things through, and it goes to show how many people have similar issues. Its like having loads of mates with a sympathetic ear, but also slightly remote so it is probably a bit easier to share your feelings. Most blokes find it a bit difficult to speak about this kind of thing so good luck to everyone and hope things improve soon.
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2018, 07:36:07 AM »
This is a brilliant place to talk things through, and it goes to show how many people have similar issues. Its like having loads of mates with a sympathetic ear, but also slightly remote so it is probably a bit easier to share your feelings. Most blokes find it a bit difficult to speak about this kind of thing so good luck to everyone and hope things improve soon.
+1 on that. Good luck guys.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Mike on a bike

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2018, 12:00:56 PM »
Just came across this this morning.....Puts it all into perspective.

https://www.sunnyskyz.com/blog/2528/The-Most-Beautifully-Written-Post-About-Depression
I'm not a complete idiot.....some parts are still missing.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal