Author Topic: Rear brake panel compatibility  (Read 548 times)

Offline SpannerBrat

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Rear brake panel compatibility
« on: June 10, 2018, 01:28:20 PM »
Hi all,
So I’m wearing my Sherlock Holmes hat again trying to  work out what parts i’m pulling out of the boxes I bought this ‘76 Frankenstein project in (the more I dig, the more it seems I was buying a garage clearance than a broken up  CB550  ::)). Not to worry though, it just makes for a more “interesting” experience all round. Anyway, the wheels that I had thought were CX500 Comstars, could actually be from a late 70s / early 80s CB650 based on the brake panel I have & I was wondering what options I have for alternative panels that will be compatible? I prefer the cleaner look from the CB550 (less “bracing” involved) & wanted to know which models I could hunt out appropriate  parts from?
As ever, any help will be much appreciated & gratefully received.
Thanks everyone,
Andy

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Rear brake panel compatibility
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 07:21:24 PM »
500 and early 550 plates are the same, later 550(K3,F?) are different and not sure about 650. first thing is check if brake shoes are same

Offline SpannerBrat

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 12:00:56 PM »
Thanks Bryan,
I didn't get chance to check things out over the weekend but have this pic of the "Millennium Falcon" plate I (currently) have if it helps with identification (650)?
Ultimately, I'd like to hunt down a pair of CB wheels but the comstars I have will have to do for now so it would be great if someone could confirm options I'd have for alternative plates.
Cheers,
Andy

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 06:02:31 PM »
All i can say is that one is NOT 500 or 550

Offline SpannerBrat

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 07:34:13 PM »
Haha.....THAT I know (makes a decent StarWars prop tho doesn’t it  ;D)!

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 10:36:52 PM »
Think the shoes are same, looks like 650 comstar to me, be carefull of swapping back plates - some appear to fit but only when tightened do you find they are not compatible. I think they can be swapped over for the smoother old cb 500 or 550 type, but as said there are two types and I am never sure of what I have so just keep my spares paired up plate and hub.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline SpannerBrat

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 05:17:34 AM »
Thanks Matthew,
Having blown apart the engine & glued it all back together myself (with no experience & “only” a manual, the internet & you guys for help), there’s every chance the end result may never fly again  ;D so actual working brakes might not be required. And with cafe/brat builds being all about the “look”, it’s probably worth giving it a shot (there’s always going to be a fleabay market out there if it proves a bust).
Seriously tho, thanks for the sound advice, i’ll do some more digging before making any move. It would be nice if the cleaner 500/550 plate fit but not at the expense of making  close aquaintances with any of the many friendly North Yorkshire dry stone walls we’ve got round here  :o

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal