Author Topic: Goldwing 1500  (Read 1274 times)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Goldwing 1500
« on: June 23, 2019, 10:36:55 PM »
As this one is after my official "spanner time" can anybody tell me what year has which model letter for the 1500 as i am attempting to sort out electrics for a good mate before a charity run.
I think the first model, 1988, was a J does that make an 89 a K?

All the web sites say the vin should star 1HF and have some letters in the middle, this one is just SC22-2100*** so cant chase it that way, engine number,SC22E-210**** does come out as 89 and V5 sez 3/89 just need to know designation for wiring diagrams.

Thanks all

Bryan

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
Re: Goldwing 1500
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 06:14:38 PM »
Hello Bryan,
You are right 88 was J, 89 was K, 90 was L and my 1991 is an SE M.  My V5c starts SC 22101 but I think my full vin on the headstock starts 1HF with more characters before the SC 22101 but I’m not near to check just now.  Also there is a very large but difficult to access 1991 model year plate running down the headstock on mine but all the Tupperware gets in the way.  Do you know if it’s UK, USA or other market?
If it’s an original not repainted bike the colour is often a good clue too.  Let me know if you need any other info off mine. The very first were Martini Beige or Phantom Grey and Wineberry the next year.

Ian

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 11:40:50 PM »
Thanks Ian, i have a couple of problems
1 no sticker on headstock just stamped in number defo no 1hf
2 vin plate is on rh frame member behind side panel riveted on on still no 1hf
3 it has been a cosmetic write of
4 its been "triked" mechanically excelent electricaly not so.

It has the early ecm with several connectors and a "carb control unit" in rh fairing pocket.
Got a used loom complete but there are some differences like no provision for bank angl sensor, no brown wire connecting ecm and carb control plus no wiring for vacuum solenoid above lh cylinder bank.
I go it running and have now aquired full manual with K and N supplements just got to figure lights, cruise control, radio etc!!!

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 08:25:49 AM »
Hi Bryan,
Managed to check mine and mine does NOT have the 1HF prefix either - mine was Japan market but my earlier U.K. bike did.  Your vin number is a bit but not much earlier than my 1991 SE M version and my frame plate shows 2/91 so yours must either K or L.  I have vac solenoid wiring and I wonder if the loom you have is for Interstate model which had a poor mans audio and NO reverse gear or cruise control - ALL other Wings had those things right from the off.

I will be pulling some of mine apart soon to replace the LCD screen which has a bleed on one side so might be able to check bit.  Do you know of Steve Saunders excellent Wing site with lots of canny US guys on there? Google it for now but if no luck I’ll find a link.

Ian

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 01:58:46 PM »
I am on that site Ian, had some great help but there are differences in US wiring to UK wiring and this model seems to be one of the few Hondas that have differing looms.
Should be able to get it sorted when my "Blue Book" manual arrives.
Thanks a lot
Bryan

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 08:51:57 AM »
Hi Bryan,
I have the big Clymer manual (850 pages) for 1988 to 1992 GL1500 with 200 (yes, two hundred!) separate wiring diagrams for US and Non US models.  They are all black on white but all colours listed.  If you get really stuck, I can post it to you for bedtime reading.  If you can narrow it down, I could always just get the relevant pages scanned or photographed.  It weighs 2 kilos!

Ian

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 12:32:39 PM »
Just got my Honda "Blue Book" and should have the K and N supplements later this week, electrics does take up rather a lot of the book and supplements!! Did you know that Clymer was bought by Haynes.
Thanks for the help mate, hows the original wing doing?
Cheers
Bryan

Offline Orcade-Ian

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • Older Vehicle Web
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 12:50:00 PM »
N will be 1992 - do you need that supplement or is that the only way to get the K?  I have a feeling that somewhere I have a Honda Black book too but buggered if I know where. It might turn up when I’m looking for summat else - the joys of getting old eh?

The GL1000 is well and that carb inlet I got from you has stopped the small air leak, so it ticks over and runs better - Ta!
We’ve got our annual bike show in Broad Street in Kirkwall by the Cathedral on Saturday so I think the 350/4 will be given an airing and Christine fancies taking the C50 LAC I restored years ago - always gets more interest than most bigger bikes.

Ian

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2019, 10:09:29 PM »
A few reasons i aquired the N supplement Ian
1 it only cost me £6
2 There do not appear to be L or M supplements about
3 It appears to be the first year with the newer big connector ECU so worth the wiring diagrams
4 The Honda main wiring diagrams, whilst black on white, are printed big on a page and a half folded over.

Have fun at your show and take plenty of drink and ice cream money if the forcasts are to be believed!

Cheers

Bryan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal