Author Topic: Suspension - hop.  (Read 398 times)

Offline Paulreade

• SOHC newcomer
  • SOHC Associate
  • Carpe diem
    • View Profile
Suspension - hop.
« on: June 13, 2018, 06:30:14 PM »
My k6 up to around 50 mph had a rather uncomfortable feel through the handlebars to the extent you couldn't ride one handed.  After 50 mph it more or less disappeared but not entirely. The yolk nuts I thought were first to blame as they were loose. I re torqued everything up but it remained. I jacked the front wheel up yesterday ( new rims and spokes) and found the wheel had a flat spot ( in the vertical for almost half of the tyre ) and a slight offset ( left to right.). I have more or less corrected this but need a final tweak when I get hold of a torque wrench. If a slight bounce still remains do I put this down to the bike being 42 years old ( spoilt with modern damped suspension) or could I damp it anyway with thicker oil for example ? Any ideas ?
Current bikes:
Suzuki GSX 1250 FA
Triumph t100 bonneville
Honda cb750 k6

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Suspension - hop.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 08:13:01 PM »
Does this only happen on certain stretches of road?
There are certain stretches of road that my 550, 750 and Pegaso hate at certain speeds where as more modern bikes just cruse over most things.
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 08:56:28 PM »
Wheel needs truing or balancing would be my bet.

Offline Paulreade

• SOHC newcomer
  • SOHC Associate
  • Carpe diem
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 11:00:46 AM »
It happens on most roads, I've lessened it a little by adjusting the spokes and reducing the flat spot, it was about 3-4 mm out of true , now it's down to around 1mm so when I get hold of a torque wrench I'll deal with it properly. I just wondered if it's old hat suspension or perhaps a damping issue - thicker oil perhaps ?. I haven't delved into the replacement of oil yet but will probably look at this at some point.
Current bikes:
Suzuki GSX 1250 FA
Triumph t100 bonneville
Honda cb750 k6

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal