Author Topic: And so it begins  (Read 764 times)

Offline sye

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
And so it begins
« on: June 16, 2018, 04:07:58 PM »
As the bike was showing under 9000 miles I thought that I would check it out before riding it for the rest of the summer and then start on a refurb/rebuild. A good job I did as I have a shorter list of what I'm happy with than unhappy, so the work begins. I didn't know that liquid gasket had so many uses.  :'(

This bike has been off the road since 2003 and I can believe it. Almost everything has rusted, is stuck or requires servicing and someone in the past has done some (ahem) repairs on the loom that need to be undone and start again.

Onwards and upwards Rodney, this time next year it should be done. I have attached a few pics of where I'm at.

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: And so it begins
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 04:29:05 PM »
That's a nice project you have there Sye. It may be rusty with birds nest wiring but it looks  mainly  all there which is a very good starting point.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
  • I'll just be 5 minutes dear!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 12:14:48 AM »
Looks a good project, like Julie says at least it’s all there and looks generally sound

Lots of fun to come I suspect and this forum has loads of expertise and help

Crack on I say👍👍👍
If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Offline sye

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 10:54:46 AM »
Just taken the silencers off. The upper right has a broken stud and was only held on by one nut and all of them rattle rather a lot when shaken. I can get a stud welded on and have them chromed but wonder if it's worth it, as the baffles are likely to disintegrate when they are acid dipped.

They are not in bad nick cosmetically, so I'm wondering whether to leave them as they are? It's likely they will need replacing anyway in the next few years and the stripping process may just render them useless. Any advice welcome.

Offline paulbaker1954

• SOHC Pro
  • I'll just be 5 minutes dear!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 08:50:14 AM »
Does the rattling sound like metal or just years of loose "stuff". I went for the CMSNL aftermarket pipes on my build but I started with 2 rusty 2-1 aftermarket MAC pipes rather than original OEM ones. The problem is you cant get the baffles out or disassemble in any way so I'd see if there is some way to clean them out first before investing in replacements (they are very pricey) to see if its just bits of loose rust rattling around inside.
If you think there's light at the end of the tunnel it's usually another train !!

2016 Yamaha MT09 Tracer
1971 Honda CB500 Four K0

Offline sye

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 09:33:44 AM »
Does the rattling sound like metal or just years of loose "stuff". I went for the CMSNL aftermarket pipes on my build but I started with 2 rusty 2-1 aftermarket MAC pipes rather than original OEM ones. The problem is you cant get the baffles out or disassemble in any way so I'd see if there is some way to clean them out first before investing in replacements (they are very pricey) to see if its just bits of loose rust rattling around inside.

Difficult to say but there's quite a bit of stuff rattling around. I have made this mistake in the past and that's why I'm a little bothered by it. The acid they use to strip the old chrome is very aggressive and can dissolve what's left of the baffles, resulting in nice looking straight through pipes. I may just leave them as they are just in case.

Offline sye

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 05:30:49 PM »
All apart now and noticed play in the swingarm and scoring on the shaft. I see that the original bushes had a felt seal and outer cover. There are replacement bronze bushes available that look to be a one piece replacement. Is this the case or are other bits needed too?

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 06:46:12 PM »
If its scored its as good as scrap.
You don't need the felt seals and outer cover with the bronze bushes .
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline sye

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 10:11:08 PM »
If its scored its as good as scrap.
You don't need the felt seals and outer cover with the bronze bushes .
Thanks for the info, new pivot shaft and bronze bushes on the way.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal