Author Topic: Cam Chain tensioning  (Read 921 times)

Offline ader

• View Profile
Cam Chain tensioning
« on: June 18, 2018, 03:25:31 PM »
Hi Guys,

New here, so bear with me please.

I need to tighten up the cam chain and have found loads of helpful guidance both on here and on You tube.

I understand the process and mechanics of the tension-er and it all seems sensible and straightforward enough, however I have NO movement whatsoever on cyl one tappet on either stroke at TDC.

??

Must be some space in the exhaust cycle as cylinder 1 is running ok and pipe is hot (burned myself to make sure)

Doing some self analysis whilst writing this, i was pushing the tappet down and sideways at TDC should i be pulling it up?

any thoughts would be mucho appreciated

ta

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
Re: Cam Chain tensioning
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 03:32:59 PM »
Daft question but have you adjusted it and checked the gap ;)
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 04:31:47 PM »
T 1-4 is marked on the ignition auto advancer behind the points and when the mark lines up with the static mark Cylinders 1 and 4 are both at TDC one of them at top of exhaust stroke where both valves are open a bit and the other on compression where both valves are closed and anyway it don't matter a stuff if you follow the intstructions I posted in tricks and tips

Offline Paulreade

• SOHC newcomer
  • SOHC Associate
  • Carpe diem
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 07:01:24 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8841eO5tvro&feature=share

This was a video I followed the other day - hope it opens ok , if not dial in 'cam chain adj cb750k'
It seems to be OK on mine since I have done it.
Hopefully our experts agree.
Current bikes:
Suzuki GSX 1250 FA
Triumph t100 bonneville
Honda cb750 k6

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 09:22:53 PM »
T 1-4 is marked on the ignition auto advancer behind the points and when the mark lines up with the static mark Cylinders 1 and 4 are both at TDC one of them at top of exhaust stroke where both valves are open a bit and the other on compression where both valves are closed and anyway it don't matter a stuff if you follow the intstructions I posted in tricks and tips

I'm beginning to think people don't trust this method Brian.
I'm thinking maybe because this method seems too simple for such an important job.
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 09:51:22 PM »
Hi Guys,

New here, so bear with me please.

I need to tighten up the cam chain and have found loads of helpful guidance both on here and on You tube.

I understand the process and mechanics of the tension-er and it all seems sensible and straightforward enough, however I have NO movement whatsoever on cyl one tappet on either stroke at TDC.

??

Must be some space in the exhaust cycle as cylinder 1 is running ok and pipe is hot (burned myself to make sure)

Doing some self analysis whilst writing this, i was pushing the tappet down and sideways at TDC should i be pulling it up?

any thoughts would be mucho appreciated

ta

The rocker should be lifted to check for clearance on these engines if you are looking to confirm the cylinder is on compression stroke.

But also just turn the motor with tappet covers removed and it'll be clear when the valve is open our closed from watching the arm move.

I think thats what you meant?  But if not please elaborate.

Offline Paulreade

• SOHC newcomer
  • SOHC Associate
  • Carpe diem
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 08:54:49 AM »
Hi guys, being new to this classic arena ( I've ridden 47 years and since the 70's have never had to tune an engine !!). I thought it was about time I delved deeper and took the plunge with a k6. I am using it as a tool to learn some of the techniques as well as ride. I am on a quest to buy the correct tools, and hopefully pick up the tips from experienced guys on what and how to do the work on the bike. I have read ( just) the threads that Are referred to but from my perspective I don't have the confidence to divert from the 'book' so to speak for fear of causing damage to what was a rather expensive purchase. So please bear with us newbies to catch up with you guys - it's a hell of a learning curve !!!. Even the rattles and knocks on these engines send shivers down my spine compared to my other , later bikes !. On the plus side I'm enjoying the journey ( so far).
Current bikes:
Suzuki GSX 1250 FA
Triumph t100 bonneville
Honda cb750 k6

Offline Paulreade

• SOHC newcomer
  • SOHC Associate
  • Carpe diem
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 02:02:18 PM »
Hi Ken, I believe James did all the service issues before I purchased it from him. The oil is certainly clean. I also believe he had the carbs set up, my intervention is simply to learn how to do the work and fine tune if I need to. I've reset the static timing ( strobe I haven't attempted yet as I've not used a strobe gun since 1978/79 and therefore need to check up on it. I've reset the cam chain as per the post I have placed my input on. I'm currently trying to re true a front wheel although I await my torque set ( due). I have a hop on the front which may require a bit more thought but I want my Haynes manual ( due) before I start any strip down. I now have my carb tune but again I want to ensure all other service items are done before attempting that plus a fan !
So all in all building confidence slowly on it. Trying to decide whether I invest in a bench lift or not at present ? I'm not getting any younger !
Current bikes:
Suzuki GSX 1250 FA
Triumph t100 bonneville
Honda cb750 k6

Offline ader

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 02:39:21 PM »
So ok,

Sudden dawning that I should be checking the exhaust valve tappet on the compression stroke not the intake valve tappet.

Looked out my feeler gauges last night but need to invest in a new set as too rusty to use.

thanks for comments I'm away for a bit so will get back to it in a week or so.

Offline ader

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2018, 11:02:21 AM »
Followed all instructions, and straight forward enough :)

Online Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 05:02:40 PM »
You check both valve clearances at the top of compression stroke

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal