Author Topic: Preserving New Silencers  (Read 935 times)

Offline adespin

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Preserving New Silencers
« on: June 20, 2018, 11:20:32 AM »
Yesterday i ordered a new set of silencers from David Silver, K2 version for my K1 as i would like a quieter system and i'm not concerned with the performance drop (I'm an old git of 70) and they are also a damn sight cheaper than the K1's. Has anybody who has bought a new system taken any precaution against internal corrosion? i'm contemplating pouring a quart (thats an age thing) of engine oil into each silencer, giving it a good shake around then emptying out. Does anybody see a problem with this ?
1971 cb750 K1

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Preserving New Silencers
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 11:39:19 AM »

This is what you’re dealing with internally (HM341’s)...may struggle to lubricate everything but might not be such a bad idea (just make sure first startup is in a well ventilated area!!!)

Offline adespin

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 12:27:32 PM »
Wow, major surgery!! did you manage to resurrect the silencer(s), if so any pic's ?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 02:17:36 PM by adespin »
1971 cb750 K1

Offline MarkCR750

• Professional half wit and member
  • SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 12:38:29 PM »
Hi,  not a lot you can do really, keep them clean externally, but they rot from the inside out due to condensation and water vapour which is a by product of combustion, you could dry them internally after each ride with a blower, but that’s a bind, look at it this way, how long did the originals last?, probably many years!, will you still own the bike when it becomes a problem?.
Suzuki GT250A (Nostalgia)
1977 K7 CR750 (lookalike, what of I’m not sure)
Ducati 900SS (Soul & Speed)
Ducati M900 Monster (Handling & character)
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
James Captain 197 (pure adrenaline, i.e. no brakes!)
"Eff yir gitten awvestear yir gooin te farst"
Sir J.Stewart.

Offline Arch stanton

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 01:00:51 PM »
I would suggest using Hydraulic oil.
As it has very low viscosity & it creeps into every nook & cranny.
Sean.

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 01:58:20 PM »
In the olden days we used to pour 2 stroke oil into new silencers and swirl it around, don't really know if it helped as we did not keep bikes long in those days.

Cheers

Dennis
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 02:25:07 PM »
The best thing you can do for exhaust internals is avoid short journeys, run for at least half an hour and give it some stick to get them really hot to boil all traces of moisture out of them. Short journeys or just starting it for a few minutes is truly the worst thing possible for bikes full stop.

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline adespin

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 02:37:13 PM »
I've just had a eureka moment !! i have bought in the past a gallon of black Waxoyl, i intended to buy it in clear, used a bit on a car underside but it was to messy, the clear is much better. So to use it up i could thin it down considerably with thinners, the thinners will evaporate leaving a thin film of Waxoyl, what do you think ??
1971 cb750 K1

Offline Simon46

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 03:22:18 PM »
I  cannot believe how much rusty water came out of my USA 2 trumpet exhausts on my 750k. Was blowing out of the joints too
1978 Cb750k8 US Import

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 03:59:15 PM »
I've just had a eureka moment !! i have bought in the past a gallon of black Waxoyl, i intended to buy it in clear, used a bit on a car underside but it was to messy, the clear is much better. So to use it up i could thin it down considerably with thinners, the thinners will evaporate leaving a thin film of Waxoyl, what do you think ??
Waxoyl is as the name suggests, wax based. Will probably burn off first time the pipes warm up properly, may even get you a tug from the Police for excessive smoke! Waxoyl is wonderful stuff, and if you were laying the bike up for 6 months or so, fine, but it will burn off very quickly when the pipes heat through. Engine oil and 2 stoke oil etc will also burn off quickly, and again the smoke issues.
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline MarkCR750

• Professional half wit and member
  • SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 06:11:33 PM »
You could place a couple of low wattage garage tube heaters under the exhausts when you leave the bike in the garage, that would evaporate the internal moisture out quickly, but I think the best option is just to forget about it, they’ll probably last 15 years, you’ll be 85 with probably more to worry about than rusty exhausts 🙂
Suzuki GT250A (Nostalgia)
1977 K7 CR750 (lookalike, what of I’m not sure)
Ducati 900SS (Soul & Speed)
Ducati M900 Monster (Handling & character)
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
James Captain 197 (pure adrenaline, i.e. no brakes!)
"Eff yir gitten awvestear yir gooin te farst"
Sir J.Stewart.

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 06:29:27 PM »
Every few tanks of fuel I add some  2 Stoke oil whether it helps or not only time will tell.

Offline adespin

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 07:12:59 PM »
You could place a couple of low wattage garage tube heaters under the exhausts when you leave the bike in the garage, that would evaporate the internal moisture out quickly, but I think the best option is just to forget about it, they’ll probably last 15 years, you’ll be 85 with probably more to worry about than rusty exhausts 🙂

That's a sobering thought :'(.

I like the suggestion of the tube heaters, i'll look into it but i will still try the Waxoyl route, the area that rots is the silencer, do they get hot enough to burn away the Waxoyl or just melt it into a liquid state which is ok.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 07:32:53 PM by adespin »
1971 cb750 K1

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 07:29:31 PM »
I have 341's on my k1 I don't look after them as well as I should.
They have been on there for 5 years and there is no rust on them the bike is used in the rain and always long journeys. 50 miles minimum.
In that time I have removed them twice to clean them properly.
What I have noticed is the left lower pipe fills with water if the bike is stored over winter on its side stand. 
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline adespin

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2018, 07:39:09 PM »
I have 341's on my k1 I don't look after them as well as I should.
They have been on there for 5 years and there is no rust on them the bike is used in the rain and always long journeys. 50 miles minimum.
In that time I have removed them twice to clean them properly.
What I have noticed is the left lower pipe fills with water if the bike is stored over winter on its side stand.
Thats odd !! do you think all the pipes would collect water on the main stand ?. Do you know if there is much performance difference over K1 pipes ?
1971 cb750 K1

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal