Author Topic: Preserving New Silencers  (Read 933 times)

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Preserving New Silencers
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2018, 07:52:06 PM »
Iv not noticed much of a performance difference.
The 300's make you feel like your going faster because of the extra noise. Your ears will thank you for the 341's

From memory I think its due to the positioning of the drain holes. If started up after standing awhile the left pipe sometimes spits a little water out of the drain hole I normally only get whiffs of steam from the other pipes.   
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Offline MarkCR750

• Professional half wit and member
  • SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Preserving New Silencers
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2018, 09:00:33 PM »
You could place a couple of low wattage garage tube heaters under the exhausts when you leave the bike in the garage, that would evaporate the internal moisture out quickly, but I think the best option is just to forget about it, they’ll probably last 15 years, you’ll be 85 with probably more to worry about than rusty exhausts 🙂

That's a sobering thought :'(.

I like the suggestion of the tube heaters, i'll look into it but i will still try the Waxoyl route, the area that rots is the silencer, do they get hot enough to burn away the Waxoyl or just melt it into a liquid state which is ok.

They do get very hot, as does the gas travelling through them, it would almost certainly burn off the internal baffles, and probably run out of the drain holes causing a mess, , if you’re set on using it I’d try it in one silencer first, I think a low constant heat from a couple of tube heaters is your best bet , it would keep the rear of the bike bone dry as well 👍
Suzuki GT250A (Nostalgia)
1977 K7 CR750 (lookalike, what of I’m not sure)
Ducati 900SS (Soul & Speed)
Ducati M900 Monster (Handling & character)
Thruxton 1200 (suits me)
James Captain 197 (pure adrenaline, i.e. no brakes!)
"Eff yir gitten awvestear yir gooin te farst"
Sir J.Stewart.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal