Author Topic: Help with starter safety switch wiring  (Read 2268 times)

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Help with starter safety switch wiring
« on: June 20, 2018, 05:38:05 PM »
Fancied a break front scrubbing carb bodies today so have made a start with the wiring on my US K6.

So here’s the short of the issue. The bike originally didn’t have a starter safety switch but the new harness has the block connector for it (aftermarket harness).

My bike has one of these ‘rectifier,silicon’ things down there instead:

Now on the original harness the wires for this little silicon rectifier went up and joined the blue/white  and brown wires on the starter solenoid. The new harness has a yellow/red wire and a black wire available to connect to the solenoid, which I’ve done here:

These two wires end up in the unrequired starter safety switch block connector, so I can use those two tires for the silicon rectifier. However this leaves 3 other wires which I don’t know what do with. These 3 surplus wires go to the headlight bucket (I’ve not yet wires up the front end). If they’re unrequited can I just leave them unconnected?

Secondly I can’t see what connects into these green and white wires down by the alternator - will they have just slipped behind the alternator cover? I might have put some gasket sealer on that cover so don’t really want To take t back off so thought I would check first.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 05:40:29 PM by Underdog1 »

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Help with starter safety switch wiring
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 10:45:32 PM »
A little more reading shows im basically wiring an earlier version of the 750 harness onto a K6. Key difference is the K6 didn't come with a starter safety switch. Over the pond theres been a few threads detailing the removal of the safety switch and basically you need to make a jumper cable from the green/red wire to the solid green wire.

The 'silicon rectifier' I have on my old K6 harness is actually a diode which sits between the neutral switch and clutch switch. If you're interested:

http://manuals.sohc4.net/cb750k/technical_reference/WD750K6.pdf

Maybe this was an updated starter safety method? Id rather use the diode method if possible as its a little neater with the red connector block removed, still pouring over wire diagrams though to figure out if this will work

Final thoughts:

If i remove the red block connector and connect the yellow/red and black wires to the diode leaving the other wires from the red block loose is this going to work? still a little way off firing the old girl up so would be nice to have some clear thoughts on this  :D
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 10:55:20 PM by Underdog1 »

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 09:00:04 AM »
Cant answer the starter question without proper diagrams for the starter safety uniy but the green and white by the alternator go to the inner generator coil (field Coil) Green is ground and white comes from reg box

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 10:06:01 AM »
Cant answer the starter question without proper diagrams for the starter safety uniy but the green and white by the alternator go to the inner generator coil (field Coil) Green is ground and white comes from reg box

Ok here’s a diagram for the harness I’m using (that’s designed with the starter safety)

And here’s the original K6 harness with the diode:
http://manuals.sohc4.net/cb750k/technical_reference/WD750K6.pdf

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
  • Hope its sunny at the weekend
    • View Profile
    • www.alans-electrics.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 02:33:16 PM »
The K6 colour wiring diagram as link is the latest Clymer diagram, if you can source the K3 to K5 Clymer diagram it would be easier to cross check.  The other issue for change is the starter button switch. On the K3 to K5 2 wire version. (Yellow/red & dark green/red) The K6 3 wire version. (Black/Yellow/red/Black/red)
Current bikes:-
Honda CB750 K4 (1974) USA
Honda XL500S (1980) UK
Honda CD175 sloper (1968) UK
Honda CB1100A (2013) UK
www.alans-electrics.co.uk

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 04:35:26 PM »
Not the loom I needed was what is in the starter unit

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 07:33:21 PM »
Not the loom I needed was what is in the starter unit

Cant find any schematics for it nor do i have one to take apart unfortunately. I think im going to roll with the jumper cable solution rather than try and introduce a the diode from the K6 harness. I don't know enough about this to be able to trouble shoot any problems that are above a basic level

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal