Author Topic: Brake pedal spring woes  (Read 455 times)

Offline Gary 400/4

• View Profile
Brake pedal spring woes
« on: July 09, 2018, 11:29:16 AM »
Hello again, after having it established by fellow owners, that the swing arm fitted to my bike, is a JMC type. Because of the way this swing arm is constructed fouling of the brake pedal rod is an issue over a standard swing arm. To have an effective rear brake, I have had to invert the drum brake arm 180 degrees. The problem is with the brake pedal return spring. It is tensioning against the pedal the wrong way. Instead of recoiling when the pedal is released. It is applying tension pushing the pedal down a bit at rest. This doesn't seem correct. Would I be advised to junk the pedal arm spring, by solely relying on the spring on the brake rod tension adjuster. Along with the spring tension of the brake shoes as well? This would give a working rear brake. The brake pedal spring would give a more snappier feel. If I knew It could be fitted to work  with my JMC swing arm? Or can I obtain a different type of spring to do the same job?

Thanks for taking the time

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
Re: Brake pedal spring woes
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 12:23:37 PM »
Hi,
    I had the same problem, so converted my rear brake to cable operation, makes it a little "insensitive" but you only use the rear brake lightly in comparison to the front when braking hard.
nice bike,nothing in the bank

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 02:28:37 PM »
The JMC swingarm dates back to the early 80's, and the non braced version took standard fitments, I presume the bracing option was offered without any thought as to the consequencies.

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 07:26:00 PM »
Hi,
    They were still in business a couple of years ago in Liverpool, they moved into alloy swingarms for more modern bikes.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal