Author Topic: Swing Arm type and shock bushes  (Read 771 times)

Offline Gary 400/4

• View Profile
Swing Arm type and shock bushes
« on: June 27, 2018, 08:38:20 PM »
Hello fellow sohc owners. Thanks for confirming the cast wheels on my 400/4. I have another conundrum requiring assistance to identify it. It concerns my non standard swing arm, it is a box section braced type. Not unlike a Dresda, however where I see slotted ends for chain adjusters on online pictures if Dresda swing arms. Mine has eccentric cams for chain adjustment. Although in common with a Dresda it slots into the frame no problem, employing taper roller bearings. I am enclosing a photo for every ones perusal.

Also, I need to obtain some new lower rear suspension unit rubber bushes for the swing arm mount eyes and shock absorber. The measurement's : swing arm eye width 16mm swing arm eye internal diameter 22mm . Metal sleeve inside rubber bush length 19mm external diameter 12mm internal 10mm for a 9mm bolt.
I cannot find anything specific for my swing arm being non standard. I do need new rubbers as mine are dissintegrating.
I am having difficulty posting a picture. Will post later if I get requests
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 11:25:21 PM by Gary 400/4 »

Online K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile

Offline Gary 400/4

• View Profile
Re: Swing Arm type and shock bushes
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 10:53:02 PM »
Thanks for the link. No mine is different it has bracing underneath the main arms, with a short bracing piece between the bracing spar and arm on both sides. If anyone knows if an Android app I can use to convert a large JPEG file into something smaller and acceptable to the forum. Please let me know. I got fed up of downloading from the Google app store, a file size reducer app, that works without locking out with adverts or demands to upload the image to cloud storage. When one has lots of memory on s memory card to use.

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 09:36:18 AM »
Hi,
     Looks like my JMC braced arm bought and fitted in the mid 80's which I still have, side view without silencer etc. would help identify. It takes standard shocks, but drive chain can foul on bracing if remotely slack, They were available with or without the bracing.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 09:40:23 AM by ka-ja »
nice bike,nothing in the bank

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 10:09:59 AM »
Managed to dig up this, original colour and sticker, also current revamped version

Offline Gary 400/4

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 03:38:45 PM »
Thanks for your posting. I concur with you that mine is probably a JMC version. Your right about a slack chain dragging across the arm. Are you up on the eye bushes for the lower suspension unit mounts? Where can I get them and what do I ask for? A serial code would be handy?

Regards

Gary

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 03:55:42 PM »
Thanks for your posting. I concur with you that mine is probably a JMC version. Your right about a slack chain dragging across the arm. Are you up on the eye bushes for the lower suspension unit mounts? Where can I get them and what do I ask for? A serial code would be handy?

Regards

Gary
David Silver Spares sells the lower shock rubber bushes. KaJa said the standard shocks fit your swingarm.
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 08:14:57 PM »
I used standard Honda rubbers at the top and standard Honda bushes at the bottom, the bottom bushes were a very tight fit in the swingarm, but put it down in part to the unit being newly powder coated. I fitted a 2 tooth larger than standard rear sprocket, and sized the drive sprocket up one tooth, this helped clear the chain from the bracing.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 08:22:26 PM by ka-ja »

Offline Gary 400/4

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 10:36:07 PM »
Nice 1 fellow owner I will consider doing the same, what teeth sprockets front and back? The drive chain is a massive O ring affair, definitely ottt for 37 hp? It won't stretch anytime soon, that's for sure. :)

Gary

Offline ka-ja

• ken
  • SOHC Pro
  • yoshi 460
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2018, 09:09:36 AM »
First a word of warning, massive "o"ring drive chains on a 400/4 usually try to grind holes in the gearbox/covers, as there is not enough clearance for the width of the chain, sprockets are hard to find, the drive is 18 teeth and rear is 39 teeth, these are used with a DID chain

Offline Gary 400/4

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2018, 01:00:15 PM »
Once more, many thanks for the insights

Regards

Gary

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal