Author Topic: Slippy Clutch when cold  (Read 424 times)

Davelu88

Slippy Clutch when cold
« on: June 27, 2018, 09:22:45 PM »
Hi all
         Can someone tell me why when i first ride my 400/4 and put the engine under load you can hear the clutch slip , it doesnt affect changing gear but sort of whizzes at speed, appears not as bad when warmed up a while.
Cheers

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Slippy Clutch when cold
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 08:38:26 AM »
Make sure there is enough free play in the clutch cable, but only do this when the engine is cold. I've known people to alter the cable adjuster at the handlebar end when out on a ride, because the free play has increased when warm, but next time they go to use the bike from cold, the mechanism has contracted and taken out all of the free play and the clutch is not fully engaged. Keep iy Upright, Michael.

Davelu88

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 07:25:30 PM »
Many thx Michael

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 08:27:25 PM »
In addition to the above advice,  I set the clutch mechanism first without the cable attached to it.

The clutch operating arm should have a small amount of play in it when left alone. If this isn't in place, the changes during use risk the mechanism holding the clutch very slightly open, making it slip.

So you should see just a degree or two of free rotation on the clutch arm before it picks up the load to push the clutch.
As Micheal says, make sure you don't then tension the cable so that you loose this play.

Davelu88

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 08:57:24 PM »
Many thanks for replies

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal