Author Topic: Alternative side stand  (Read 844 times)

Offline SpannerBrat

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Alternative side stand
« on: June 28, 2018, 12:28:33 PM »
Hello again,
I didn't get a side stand in the '76550 K2 "box of bits" that I bought to build so I was wondering - as I've no need to generally fit model specific items - what other models I could search for that will fit & work. As I'm building a brat/cafe bike, I like the "minimalist" look of the attached stand (listed on fleabay as a CB500 K1 / K2) & have seen the there are similar stands for many other CB models (350, 360, 400, 650 etc.). So, I'm expecting the main question is over the length but I can also see a possible query over the pivot size.
As every, many thanks in advance of any help / advice you can offer.
Andy

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Alternative side stand
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 10:28:06 PM »
I think whilst it will physically fit it may be a tad short, I cannot recall trying to swap that item between bikes though I have owned cb550 and cb550 and swapped bits between them with abandon, the cb500 is apparently shorter so fitting the side stand off one might possibly make the bike lean over a bit more. Of course if you play around with cafe or clip on style bars and drop the forks through the yokels a bit that wouldn't apply. Alternatively you can get custom kick stands that  clamp around the frame. I have one kicking around my shed off a cb550 hardtail chop I once had. Not totally foolproof as the clamp could twist on the frame tube so would ideally need a blob of weld on the tube to stop them rotating.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline SpannerBrat

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 09:04:33 AM »
Thanks for your comments Matthew,
As it goes, I will be dropping the clamps down the forks so could be worth a trial at least. I'll check out the frame clamped option as well. Failing that, I'll just have to find a hill every time I park up  ;D
Has anyone else any info to firm up a decision?

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 10:22:39 PM »
I reacon it should fit, might get a look at the cb500 and 550 frames tomorrow to confirm if I remember.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline Wenman

• SOHC Member
  • First build done cb550 supersport
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 11:29:43 AM »
This is a similar issue i have... my cb550F Supersport came with what I can only assume is the wrong side stand. The bike leans over far too much, almost to the degree I poo my pants when I lean the bike over and think I havent put the stand down at all!!

I wish I knew what the correct stand is for my frame as purchasing second hand stands for trial and error purposes will be very expensive!

If anyone has one I can try or are willing to part with please let me know!

Thanks

Alan
If at first you don't succeed.. hit it with something!

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 01:51:22 PM »
Just measure 4 stands from 500/550 through the years and they go from about 20.3mm to 21.5mm (centre of pivot to bit that touches down. On the three bikes I've used I also consider them all bit short. I suppose slightly oversize tyres will not help, but on a road with a bit of camber I am wary. I notice that there are pads sold to attach to the stands of modern bikes, but can't see a way of adding length to classic bikes without welding a pad on the bottom.
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

Offline Wenman

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 02:09:34 PM »
Thanks for that seabeowner!! Ill measure mine you never know it may be a completley wrong side stand.

I've tried the usual things like checking if the mount is bent, any free play etc.. im also running period dunlop tyres so not oversized on standard 18" and 19" wheels!
Its very odd!!

Alan

Offline jon stead

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 04:55:20 PM »
Just measure 4 stands from 500/550 through the years and they go from about 20.3mm to 21.5mm (centre of pivot to bit that touches down. On the three bikes I've used I also consider them all bit short. I suppose slightly oversize tyres will not help, but on a road with a bit of camber I am wary. I notice that there are pads sold to attach to the stands of modern bikes, but can't see a way of adding length to classic bikes without welding a pad on the bottom.

Millimetres? Do you mean centimetres (cm)
2015 Triumph Bonneville T100 Newchurch

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 05:33:30 PM »
Thanks for that seabeowner!! Ill measure mine you never know it may be a completley wrong side stand.

I've tried the usual things like checking if the mount is bent, any free play etc.. im also running period dunlop tyres so not oversized on standard 18" and 19" wheels!
Its very odd!!

Alan

The longest side stand is from the 550F1 and F2. Do you have longer than std rear shocks ?

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2018, 09:17:58 PM »

Millimetres? Do you mean centimetres (cm)
Yes.
Stock tyre on 500 is 3.5" at rear 550 is 3.75"
Also the mounting moved from near the front of the engine to the rear. All of them look barely up to the job.
400s I think had a problem with corrosion near the mount. Example below.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 09:37:13 PM by Seabeowner »
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2018, 09:21:18 PM »
That is too far over!

Are you sure it’s not bent?

Mine was (500) and looked just like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline Wenman

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2018, 09:27:20 PM »
Everything is standard.. tyres and shocks!!

Just popped outside and measured it 21.5 cm

What do you think???

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2018, 06:55:54 AM »
Looks OK. Just too short. The giveaway is to check the base of the foot. Is it parallel with the ground?

This one isn’t. It’s also obviously bent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal