Author Topic: Electrical help  (Read 569 times)

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Electrical help
« on: June 29, 2018, 07:54:39 PM »
Having a few snags with the headlight bucket electrics, the bike is a K6, the harness is an aftermarket one from Z1 parts for a K3-K5 but came with a little jumper cable to ft the K6 (as it doesn’t have an on/off headlight switch as stock) BUT I have repro switch gears which DO have the on off switch so I’m basically wiring the same as a stock K3-5.

I have an aftermarket speedo (with LED idiot lights) and an aftermarket tacho. Colours on the wires from these are all kinds of colours but I think I have hen figured out.

Currently all that’s working is an oil pressure light and the backlights for the gauges. Don’t currently have brakes or indicators on the bike.

Firstly is this right, it’s a teal/red wire which comes from the neutral switch, I’ve currently got it connected directly to the neutral light (other wire from neutral light has gone to black). Confusing as all the wiring diagrams show this wire as green/red not teal/red but looked at my old harness and that’s also teal/red

Secondly I’m not sure where this black red wire goes, as far as I’m aware it comes from the starter switch. I’ve connected it to the brown / red wire here (headlight circuit), as that’s as best as I can work out from online wiring diagrams!

« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 08:01:23 PM by Underdog1 »

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: Electrical help
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 09:02:10 PM »
All i know is, if you get it wrong, the loom melts  :o

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 09:06:07 PM »
I think the black red should feed power to the dip switch on the LH switch as in the original configuration the starter button turns the lights off when the button is pushed and at the same time powers the starter solenoid which is also wired opposite to earlier bikes which ground the solenoid power feed to the bars

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 09:52:13 PM »
I think the black red should feed power to the dip switch on the LH switch as in the original configuration the starter button turns the lights off when the button is pushed and at the same time powers the starter solenoid which is also wired opposite to earlier bikes which ground the solenoid power feed to the bars

The black and red is from the right hand control (looks like starter button), no black and red wire in the loom for it to go to, but there is 2x brown and red wires which go down to the headlight 7a fuse. The other brown/red wire in the loom I’ve connected to the headlight dimmer switch.

Still not getting much though!!

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 10:14:24 PM »
Just to clarify - the electrics should work when the key is in ignition position 1 right? (Once click clockwise), bikendoesnt have to be running for headlight horn etc

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 10:16:31 PM »
Just to clarify - the electrics should work when the key is in ignition position 1 right? (Once click clockwise), bikendoesnt have to be running for headlight horn etc

yep, and some 750's have the switch gear earth to the handle bars.

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 11:21:06 PM »

Literally have just read up on this, haven’t drilled my bars yet so I’ve had the switch gear just dangling, probably explains why at least some of the stuff isn’t working. Had a look through the electrics section of hondamans books and all the info is in there, just need to wrap my head around it!

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2018, 12:05:15 AM »
The black red, I think, goes down to one side of the headlamp fuse and the other too the LH switch. Have you got a lights ON/OFF on the RH switch.

This is one of the very few occasions when wires do not go colour to colour

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2018, 09:30:56 AM »
The black red, I think, goes down to one side of the headlamp fuse and the other too the LH switch. Have you got a lights ON/OFF on the RH switch.

This is one of the very few occasions when wires do not go colour to colour

Yeah I’ve got the on/off switch

Offline BigAl (Alan)

• SOHC Pro
  • Hope its sunny at the weekend
    • View Profile
    • www.alans-electrics.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2018, 09:52:04 AM »

Literally have just read up on this, haven’t drilled my bars yet so I’ve had the switch gear just dangling, probably explains why at least some of the stuff isn’t working. Had a look through the electrics section of hondamans books and all the info is in there, just need to wrap my head around it!

Hondaman's book will be a great help. Also a drawing of the logic module (K3-K5) (aka Safety module) on page V-7
Current bikes:-
Honda CB750 K4 (1974) USA
Honda XL500S (1980) UK
Honda CD175 sloper (1968) UK
Honda CB1100A (2013) UK
www.alans-electrics.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal