Author Topic: Anyone used paintless dent removal on tank  (Read 857 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Anyone used paintless dent removal on tank
« on: March 23, 2019, 12:03:22 PM »
Have this NOS CD175A tank with very slight dent. Anyone used paintless dent removal on a motorbike tank.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline sye

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone used paintless dent removal on tank
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 12:14:04 PM »
Not on a bike tank Ash but i have had it done on SWMBO car door and it worked fine. No sign of the dent and no paintwork required.

Offline bucksfizz

• 1973 CB750 Four K3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 12:25:56 PM »
I used a paintless dent removal (PDR) company in Bournemouth to remove a dent in my Bonneville tank.
It didn't turn out too well, as the tank showed where the hammer had caused dimples on the tank's surface.
As it wasn't to the company's exacting standards, they didn't charge me - still left the guy a few bob for a pint or two, though.
For a respray without great lumps of filler, it'd be worth it.
As it was, I have left it with the dimples, and not many people notice them.
I think the problem with bike tanks is the thickness - car panels tend to be thin and easily malleable.

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 12:40:02 PM »
There's a company who advertise sometimes in CB based in Hull called Rapier (01482 212690) who advertise dent removal. You could give them a ring? I've never used them.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline JamesH

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 01:24:41 PM »
Ash - I’ve used these guys a few times with good results..

http://www.motorcycledentremoval.co.uk

Guy I dealt with is called Andy.

Worth a try - but not cheap.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2019, 12:07:30 AM »
Sounds Good one in Hull close to me and the other in North Yorkshire ..again quite close.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 01:18:56 PM »
Local guy in Hull (not Rapier)  quoted me 60 quid which didn't sound bad... sounds like a nice chap. Thing is that I think the NOS tank paint colour is a non-UK colour because all of the other NOS parts I got with it  are a bluey-green (Neptune blue) but the tank has no hint of green. I did get a tub of RS-Bikepaints paint with the project so I may have to respray the tank anyway (metallic not candy thank God).

Offline davefirestorm

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2019, 05:14:53 PM »
I haven’t had dents removed from a fuel tank but my car was peppered with hailstone damage (golf ball sized) and a company called Dentmasters to my surprise brought it back to looking like new again,amazing job but at a cost of £4K
Honda CB650Z
Honda F6C Valkyrie

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2019, 08:52:35 PM »
Dave, was that the great hailstorm of Melton Mowbray a few years ago? I was driving to the railway test track at the time and the sky went black, next thing my car was on marbles of ice and it was like driving in thick fog!
When I got to the car park we shared with hundreds of brand new stored cars every one of them was full of dents, windscreens cracked and door mirrors hanging off. The insurance company set up a workshop next to our train shed and refinished every car over a period of a couple of months. I wonder though if as a customer buying one of these cars from a dealer if they were told of the damage suffered by their new car? Five of the cars in our works car park were actually written off, one being a 3 year old Jaguar!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 08:56:14 PM by Laverda120 »
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline davefirestorm

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2019, 10:01:30 PM »
Not Malvern but Daventry last year Bank holiday end of May [ Guests cannot view attachments ]
Honda CB650Z
Honda F6C Valkyrie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal