Author Topic: Stator woes and Ricks High Output Charging Kit for CB350K 1971 ?  (Read 547 times)

Offline burcotcb350

• View Profile
Hello all
I recently purchased a 1971 CB350K which was running fine until it came to an abrupt halt last Thursday night. I had noticed that the indicators were really slow to flash when i first set off but foolishly carried on regardless and after about 7 miles it just died, it wouldn't re-start on the kick and there were no lights visible. I checked a few obvious things and couldn't see a problem and luckily my insurance includes breakdown cover so i called them out and even luckier for me i had broken down right outside a lovely village pub so i decided to wait in their beer garden. I went back to the bike after about half an hour and turned the ignition and the neutral light was now visible which it hadn't been earlier. It wasn't as bright as it should be but the bike did briefly start from the kick and then stopped again. The recovery van turned up after about 90 minutes and we got it in the back where the mechanic checked it over and confirmed that the battery was flat. He put jump leads on the battery and it started almost straight away so he checked the battery with a ammeter and at 3000rpm confirmed that it wasn't charging. He disconnected the leads and it continued to run which he said ruled out the rectifier and in his opinion it was the alternator/stator that was dead. The person i purchased the bike from had fitted a new regulator and a new rectifier plus plugs, leads and points prior to me getting it and before this incident it had started and ran fine. I have done about 50 miles on it since i got it and the mechanic said that this was probably about right as the battery would have taken that long to discharge ?
I have posted a request in the wanted section of this forum just in case anyone has a working stator that they would like to sell but i also keep coming across something called a "Ricks high output charging kit" which is from the USA and includes an up-rated stator plus a new combined regulator/rectifier. I wondered if anyone has any experience of these as they are around £200 with postage from the states and i am reluctant to shell out that much unless i know its going to work. Alternatively if anyone can point me in the direction of someone in the UK that sells either a new or reconditioned stator for my model that would also be good.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated
Regards
Paul

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: Stator woes and Ricks High Output Charging Kit for CB350K 1971 ?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 12:41:44 AM »
Paul. See my other reply in your wanted post.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline GregShiv

• View Profile
1983 Suzuki GSX550ESD
2013 Aprilia SL750 Shiver
1976 Honda CB400F

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal