Author Topic: Replacement rims  (Read 752 times)

Offline sye

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Replacement rims
« on: July 28, 2018, 12:51:20 PM »
Hello, I've decided to replace the F/R rims as it will be cheaper than getting them chromed. The rear isn't too bad, with some quite severe marks and some flaking but the front is rotten. I have searched the forum and some suggest replacing them with the larger rear rim from the 750.

Is this a good thing to do? Are there any issues with clearance or anything else I need to be aware of? Is there anyone out there that wouldn't do it and why please?

Thanks, Sye.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: Replacement rims
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 01:54:54 PM »
If you are keeping a std bike, then use std size. DID rims are available and are the best.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 09:18:47 PM »
I always found the standard rims on the 500 too thin, the bike certainly benefits from having 2.15 rims fitted, the tyres don't flex as much, it handles better, if you can believe that as it's already a great handler, I didn't use spoked rims as I fitted Lester mags instead but they both had 2.15 front and rear, there were no fitment issues with the extra width. It will mean you can fit wider tyres without suffering from the problems you got with the thinner rims, I found 4.10 and 4.25/85 the perfect sizes.

If your just plodding around on it then maybe stick with standard, if you like to go round corners on rails fit the bigger section rims, depends on how you ride.

The thicker the tyre and wheel doesn't mean the bike will handle better or corner better.
I learnt all this when i was racing. Just look up the fastest 125, 250 and 500 lap times round Cadwell or Brands Hatch.
The Japs did a experiment with 5 different styles of bikes, all with the same  power and one bike with thin tyres and for some reason totally weird handle bars (something to do with balance). As the laps went on the bike with thin tyres lapped all of them. There is a video of it but, can't find it.
I surprise a lot of bikers on the road by out cornering them on a 250  ;) Opps, when they are on a big sports bike. 

Found the Vid >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEYEn_fpv-4&t=32s   
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 09:33:25 PM by Trigger »

Offline MCTID

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 09:19:06 PM »
I replaced my CB 750 K4 Rims with new DID chrome rims from Mr Silvers Emporium. My Wheel builder sorted them out and he said they are as good quality as any other suppliers - for the money. They have the 'Script' stamped around the side of the rim so certainly no good for the purists, but they are OK for my purposes.

If any Member wants an original DID 19" Front Rim and/ or a 16" Dunlop 'Harley' style rim they are yours for a 'Donation' to our sohc Forum Plus Shipping.........they will need the old chrome stripping and replacing, but the DID is an ORIGINAL from 74 and the 16" was on my bike when I bought it so its will fit a CB750K.

Just PM me.
Now: 2008 CB1300S, CB750K4, 1970 Bonneville. Various other 1960's 650 Triumph T120's/ TR6's/ TR6C's (all in bits...many, many bits unfortunately). Previous: 2007 CB600FA, 1976 CB500 Four. BMW F800ST. GS750E. ZZR1100. CB1300 (2). ZXR1200S. VFR800. CB750 Nighthawk. CX500. XS500 Yam. Suzuki GT500. BSA A10. Various Lambrettas. Zundapp Bella (honest).

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 01:48:09 PM »
I agree with the thin tyre comments Trig, however that's not the real world, try doing that in the wet and see what the result is. There's a reason that wider tyres are used on road bikes, if you fit wide tyres to the standard 500 rims you get lots of sidewall flex which makes the bike feel really weird, fitting 2.15 rims on the bike allows you a greater choice of tyres

A lot of pros & cons with tyres.
We raced the GPZ600's back in the late 80's for two years. At silverstone we used a wider tyre due to not many tight bends. Those 600's ran very well due to the short wheel base but, then we were given the GPZ750's which went well on big tracks but, on tight circuits, everyone left you behind. In fact i used thinner tyres on the 600's at the southern Ireland circuits in the wet, as they had loads of tight corners and used to always finish in the top 3, as long as Dave Mc kay did not have me off  ::)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 01:54:26 PM by Trigger »

Offline sye

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 03:50:50 PM »
Thanks all, I think I will stick with standard sizes and keep it looking original.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal