Author Topic: Speedo Gauge rebuild but still wavy  (Read 963 times)

Offline Doom64

• View Profile
Speedo Gauge rebuild but still wavy
« on: July 10, 2018, 08:45:06 PM »
Hello, I just received my clocks back from being rebuild, the internals were cleaned and the dampers refilled, also had new glass and faces fitted.
I put new cables on from David silver went for a ride and the speedo and Rev counter is still wavy.
The speedo is reading a bit high and when going quicker, say I am going 60 and I accelerate the speedo will shoot up quick and go to like 80 and go back down and wave about. (clutch is not slipping) it does this more at higher speeds, it seems a bit more stable at slower speeds.
And the Rev counter is wavy and it will fluctuate a lot doing about 6k it will drop down to 5k bounce about and go back to 6k and when going quick it doesn't go up smooth.
I had a look at the speedo gear were the cable slots in with the wheel on and it is a bit wobbly, is it meant to be?
Also put a drill on the end of the cable and the needles seemed to go up smooth.
Does anyone know what else could be causing this?
Spent quite a bit of money on these, they have been wavy for ages getting a bit annoyed with them now.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 08:49:20 PM by Doom64 »

Online kent400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Speedo Gauge rebuild but still wavy
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 07:09:29 AM »
Check that the cables are correctly routed and the cushions are in good condition as the insulate the gauges from vibration. The gauges should be flexible within their mounting plates and won't be if the incorrect length of the tubes within the grommets are used or the thickness of the washers under the cap nuts is incorrect.

If you have tested the gauges off the bike and they work fine then the problem is elsewhere. It isn't possible to re-calibrate these gauges although it's possible to make small adjustments but they all tend to read faster than the actual speed by around 10%. If it's much more than that you need to speak to whoever restored the gauges.   

Offline Doom64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 06:08:26 PM »
A couple of the rubbers are different, I will get some correct ones. Do the rubbers go under the washer or inside the clock? I am guessing under the washer.
What do you mean incorrect length of tube within the grommet?
Before the speedo was out by 5 mph at all speeds but now at slow speeds it's out by nearly 10mph but above 60mph it's about 5mph out.
When going above 60 the needle wobbles reads about 10mph to fast then flutters down to the correct reading then goes up again.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 06:10:26 PM by Doom64 »

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 06:20:48 PM »
Best thing to look at is a parts diagram, try cmsnl for that. you fit the rubber cushion into the chrome cup then fit the clock, the top hat shaped rubber washers go over the threaded studs small end into the chrome cup, inside the rubber washer is a steel tube that stops you over tightening the clock

Offline Doom64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 09:03:45 PM »
I seem to only have one rubber on each stud.
So I am missing a rubber and the steel tube on all the studs.
Where can I get those from?
Would these make the needle wave about that much though?

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 09:08:59 PM »
It certainly won't help, that's why Honda fitted all the rubbers, to reduce vibration from the engine and road.

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Doom64

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 10:06:35 PM »
Read that wrong I am just missing the steel tube and a couple of the grommets are wrong.

Offline Doom64

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2018, 10:10:07 PM »
Thanks for that.
I have got new grommets and put them in it helped a little but they are still waving.
Is the speedo gear bit meant to be wobbly, on my cb250rs it is tight is the one on the 400 meant to be tight? If it is, being wobbly that would make it wavy wouldn't it?
Also does anyone know the correct length of the cables the new ones I got the speedo is the same but the Rev counter one is a bit longer.
When going quicker the Rev counter is all over the place.
How do you make adjustments to the speedo?

Offline Doom64

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 09:54:58 PM »
Just got a different speedo drive that's not wobbly it has helped the speed is now 5 mph off like it was before but it is still wobbly and when going quicker the needle goes up a bit fast then drops to the right speed, and the needle sometimes  gets stuck at 70 ish for a second or so.
Would the length of cable affect anything?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal