Author Topic: engine case assembly  (Read 447 times)

Offline haynes66

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
engine case assembly
« on: July 12, 2018, 06:00:57 PM »
my hondabond arrives tomorrow hopefully, and i've been putting the cases together for a bit of practice. i have one concern. the centre gear selector is just hanging in the breeze and locates on the shaft in the upper case on assembly. i'm assuming that if the cases close up nicely, it means the selector is in its rightful place. if it wasnt in the right location, would the cases close anyway?
honda firestorm
silverwing 600 scooter
honda britain project
phil read rep project
YGS1 80cc yamaha
LE Velocette

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: engine case assembly
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 07:29:25 PM »
Upside down the centre dog has to be located in the right place. I have never tried to close the cases if it is not located correctly. I start by resting the fronts together and then lower the rear down, while peering in between them and locating the dog in its home  ;)

Do not over do it with the Hondabond, just a very light smear so that it is just tacky on the face. Only do the outside areas that need it.

Offline haynes66

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 07:33:44 PM »
brilliant, thank you.
honda firestorm
silverwing 600 scooter
honda britain project
phil read rep project
YGS1 80cc yamaha
LE Velocette

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 10:35:47 PM »
A clue to the thickness of the application of Hondabond, in the factory it was put on with a roller . Not the type of roller that you paint the ceiling  ;D This is why it was put on all the mating surfaces but, it is only required on the outside surfaces.
I have built 10 engines in a run and only used less than a quarter of a tube. This should give you a idea on the amount used.   

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal