Author Topic: Dating help and insurance woes  (Read 1517 times)

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
Re: Dating help and insurance woes
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2018, 10:00:34 AM »
I would strongly recommend going the VJMC route. Did it a few years ago and it was a very easy route. All was accepted by DVLA without question and an age related number issued. Whole thing took less than a month. For me it was completely hassle free (which is a bl***y miracle for the DVLA).
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2018, 10:11:56 AM »
It will be very hard to get the DVLA to issue you a age related plate, as it already has a age related plate, to date of registration.
I have had the same problem with a 750K6 which is a late registered bike (1978).
As for insurance, surely this bike has been insured in the UK before, so a record is out there with the insurance firms. Try walking into a high st insurance brokers .

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2018, 10:26:56 AM »
That exact scenario worked for me Trig, without any hassle at all. I think it mainly depends on whose desk at the DVLA your paperwork lands on (as I said, a bl***y miracle).
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2018, 02:50:58 PM »
That exact scenario worked for me Trig, without any hassle at all. I think it mainly depends on whose desk at the DVLA your paperwork lands on (as I said, a bl***y miracle).

On a UK Unit that is already registered ?   I will drop your name the next time i am on the phone to them  ;)

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2018, 03:50:57 PM »

On a UK Unit that is already registered ?   I will drop your name the next time i am on the phone to them  ;)
Mine wasn't originally a UK unit, it was a Belgium import that had already got a UK reg when I got it. It's registration was four years after they stopped making them so I just applied to DVLA with the VJMC dating certificate and they changed the reg to year of manufacture. That's the same as this scenario as Honda UK don't have any details on it, it probably isn't a UK unit? Dont give them my name as you will probably get arrested.  ;D
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline tosh

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2018, 05:43:52 PM »
Sounds as though there may be hope still then, Royhall you say yours started out as a Belgium bike, is there a way of finding out where it was originally imported  from back in 1981 or did you already know the history of you bike? Tiger yes it probably had been insured in the uk previously but she’s been off the road in many boxes of bits for the last 22 years according to the P.O

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2018, 05:59:48 PM »
I can say for certain that a lot of K3 550's were registered years after importation by Honda as they were a very slow seller and new date is date of first registration but if VJMC can prove date of manufacture as on vin plate (send them a pic) you may eventually win with DVLA

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2018, 06:18:14 PM »
Sounds as though there may be hope still then, Royhall you say yours started out as a Belgium bike, is there a way of finding out where it was originally imported  from back in 1981 or did you already know the history of you bike? Tiger yes it probably had been insured in the uk previously but she’s been off the road in many boxes of bits for the last 22 years according to the P.O
I bought mine with a load of photocopied documents from when it was virtually new so I knew the bikes entire history. Don't really think there is any way of chasing up your bikes history, only Honda can say which country the bike was exported to. When was it first registered in the UK, and is that the same as the year of manufacture as DVLA will sometimes reregister to year of manufacture if they get evidence of a possible mistake. If it turns out to be a genuine UK bike you have no chance. I have a UK unit 1977 CB750F2 thats on an 80 reg, that one got turned down flat. That said I have never had problems insuring it and am surprised you are. Are you sure your giving them the correct title of the bike, ie. there is a 750F2 sohc (77) and a 750F2 dohc (82), so the sohc bit is sometimes very important. Personally I would just try a bit harder with the insurance, maybe send them a photocopy of the V5. Or give Peter James a ring and explain the situation.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 06:27:47 PM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC

Offline tosh

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2018, 06:28:53 PM »
Yea new date and date of first registration are 1981 on the V5 but the fame and engine numbers both fall squarely in the 1977 K3 range of numbers as per the list in the resources section here. The previous owner did suggest that he had assumed that it had sat unregistered in the dark corner of a dealership for 4 years which is sounding more feasible after reading some of the things on here I’m guessing that the arrival of the DOHC’s in the later 70’s were the reason for the K3’s being slow to sell?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 06:37:53 PM by tosh »

Offline Seamus

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2018, 08:45:55 AM »
May not help, but I have a 72 car that was in the channel islands for 2 years and when repatriated, ended up with an N plate. I spoke to dvla help line and they suggested returning the reg document to dvla with a letter explaining the situation. The reply was that the date of manufacture has been changed on the log book but because of the rules at the time, the N plate stays.
I am in the process of buying a reg from one of the dealers to get my K plate.
Could you use that approach, apply a 77 plate and tell the insurance it was made in 77?

Offline tosh

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2018, 09:51:22 PM »
A quick update: after following oddjobs advice I wrote back to honda saying that although they couldn’t find my exact numbers, I was pretty sure that as they were required by law to keep records they could at least find ones either side of mine and give me a year of manufacture , two weeks later I get a dating letter back from them , not for the estimated year but the exact date and place of the bikes manufacture ! Seems they looked a little harder and managed to find a match after all. So perhaps not giving in, keeping at em and not letting them fob you off is the way to go. cheers for the advice oddjob it’s worked a treat 👍 DVLA next  :'(

Offline petermigreen

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2018, 09:54:36 PM »
Great news and YAY Oddjob!

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2018, 10:04:45 PM »
Well done you......and Ken, the right result.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal