Author Topic: Bad pattern points plate.  (Read 638 times)

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
Bad pattern points plate.
« on: July 27, 2018, 02:18:36 PM »
A while back I fitted a new ready built-up points plate from DSS, the one with the back plate cables points and condensers already fitted. Thought it was a good idea as the original cables were very frayed.

On a run out yesterday it decided to start misfiring so badly I was lucky to make it home. Checked it this morning and it wont start on 2&3. So looking at the corresponding points the anvils are out of parallel by miles, only making contact on the outer edges and are therefore very burnt. Top quality gear Mr Silvers is turning out there, lasted a whole 1000 miles. On checking, the other set are exactly the same.

After a good clean and reset I got it running okay just to prove it was the points. Serves me right for buying c***y pattern parts again, lost count now of how many times the Bitsa nemesis has bitten me. So anyone thinking of paying Silvers for one of these pattern items, DONT. This is the genuine one to buy:   https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/CB750F2-(Single-overhead-cam)/part_7187/

DynaS system here we come as my 750 is my only bike left with points. Goodbye iron age technology welcome to the 21st century.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 08:59:55 AM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Simon46

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Re: Bad pattern points plate.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 02:24:30 PM »
Thanks for the heads up on that.
1978 Cb750k8 US Import

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 04:01:09 PM »
Bad news that ..in the link it links to a Genuine Honda part Roy with white sleeving? Do you mean that's the one to buy not the pattern one.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 04:19:52 PM »
Bad news that ..in the link it links to a Genuine Honda part Roy with white sleeving? Do you mean that's the one to buy not the pattern one.
Thanks Ash well spotted, I should have made that clearer. Have modified the post accordingly. Am going electronic with mine.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 07:05:31 PM »
Fitted loads of the pattern ones back in the 70's and rarely had a problem, perhaps all the QC is going down the pan!!

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 08:33:18 PM »
Fitted loalds of the pattern ones back in the 70's and rarely had a problem, perhaps all the QC is going down the pan!!

Daiichi parts are particular bad now Bryan. http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=149836.0

Anyone remember when Honda points had a copper foil backing to the springy strip? Point being that the spring material is slightly resistive and the copper foil gave a  lower volt drop. It was probably on a 6v bike such as C200 or CD175A, where voltage drop is more critical.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal