Author Topic: stator output.  (Read 550 times)

Offline kevski

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
stator output.
« on: July 25, 2018, 10:17:38 PM »
Having a bit of charging trouble, replaced rec/reg with a modern unit due to poor charging and now getting over 16volts at battery replaced with another new unit and the same whole harness is good as is new, put old harness on, same result, getting 22/23 volts on each phase, anyone had this sort of problem, as everything checks out ok was wondering if M&P have a dodgy batch, they are going to replace with another brand of reg/rec.

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Re: stator output.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 04:48:17 PM »
Hiya, fitted one of these gubbins last year, can't remember the brand got it from DS. Made up my own bracket to fit it where the old voltage control unit was, there was enough play in the wiring to allow this. Bracket was made from half of an old brass window hinge, cut and drilled to suit, no rust, no paint, and a good earth! Had to start bike on kickstarter, had only just made it home, meter was showing 15.65 volts which did not surprise me with a nearly flat battery. Have not checked it again since, head in sand attitude! Have had to add miniscule amounts of top-up fluid about 3 times since then. If it aint broke, don't fix it. Had a similar unit as a standard fitment on a Stiga mower, when that one went wrong it gave plenty of warning, smell from battery which was very hot, and a reading of 19.5 volts!!! So don't panic quite yet.
  Regards, Mick.

Offline kevski

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 05:42:02 AM »
Cured now, after 3 units from a well known parts retailer and my putting old harness back on with no joy, all 3 reg/recs showing 16 plus volts, i bought an electrex world one, plugged in and 13.75v with fully charged battery, jobs a good one.

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 07:42:46 AM »
Cured now, after 3 units from a well known parts retailer and my putting old harness back on with no joy, all 3 reg/recs showing 16 plus volts, i bought an electrex world one, plugged in and 13.75v with fully charged battery, jobs a good one.

Nice one Kev ... when is DS going to stop selling crap pattern parts ? ...surely with the number of 400/4's he's done he could source a reliable reg/rectifier unit? I always worry about the pattern rubber parts he sells as he couldn't give me a spec on the rubber compound used when I asked him. Same with fork stanchions. Said it was confidential to the suppliers. I just voted with my feet and got everything from Yamiya.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline kevski

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 08:07:37 AM »
To be fair it wasn't DS this time, i have had shoddy parts from them in the past though.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal