Author Topic: New guy from London  (Read 1170 times)

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
New guy from London
« on: July 29, 2018, 08:26:48 AM »
Getting on a bit, tired,overweight, and not as quick as we used to be. Me. Not the bike!

So ifelt it was time to move on from the modern world, which frankly was doing little for me. Too much styling and not enough style with a lot of the modern stuff so I wanted a classic project. What better than a SOHC Honda!

Grew up with the classic 80s inline 4, but had mostly Kawasakis and Suzuki's but the ones I had then are, well,stupidly expensive now. I can't spend 3k on a rotted out Z or the 7K another big Katana seems to fetch. Nope...my initial budget was around £1000.

So I have landed one of the many Hondas heading our way from the US. A 1977 F2 model from a a e in Brighton. Looks ok, has compression, but not enough sparks to go round. Could be wiring..could be coil..

It's not my first restore, and I have always done all my own spannering.  But I am a novice when it comes to these.

My plan of attack is to get it running, and then strip and start from a freshly painted frame. Normally I would swap out the old oil, pop the cam cover and oil the cams. Use a dummy tank, and fire it up after turning it over a few times on the crank nut to listen for nasties and feel for instructions. Then try to get it to fire.

Does this work OK for these and are there other things to check?

Have read about the oil jets...where are they located?
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: New guy from London
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 08:45:04 AM »
Welcome to the mad world of the SOHC. To pop off the rocker cover, the engine needs to be removed out of the frame and, the jets are under the cam towers  ;)

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 09:13:09 AM »
Cool...thanks for that.

I will just get it sparking and hold off until I can at least pop the top and check this. Whilst I can directly lube cams and rockers....I can't get oil to the cams plain bearings.

I'm not in a hurry, so why not do it right 😀

I have to break it down anyway. I live in a terrace house with no access to the back...and the build will happen in the shed out back. So I can plan this in.
CB750F2 - in pieces

Online Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 09:41:46 AM »
welcome to the forum and have fun with it.

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 09:59:05 AM »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 10:03:21 AM »
Welcome, most common problem with the F2 is worn out exhaust valve guides, even at low mileage and the 'orrible PD carbs that block for a pastime. Apart from that a decent socket set, combination spanners, circlip pliers and one special tool to undo the clutch nut and you are away

Online Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 10:47:42 AM »
Welcome to the forum.  You'll like the F2, nice black engine and comstar wheels.  A mate of mine had a US import as well.  Only problem he had was with the front brakes that looked impressive but were pretty poor in real life and until he gave them a complete overhaul.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2018, 10:48:14 AM »
Manuals all being downloaded right now :) Thanks Ashimoto ... will do some reading tonight before I break out the spanners. Haynes manuals...love them! Reassembly is the reverse of dismantling...one of the worlds greatest lies :)

Bryanj .... i'll bear that in mind. If she's a smoker.....that's the first place I will look. The old Zeds I am used to used to have rubber oil seals that would harden with age, and fail. That was a major hassle to fix. I knew there was a reason I never got shot of that old valve spring compressor.....

I plan to take my time and have fun with this old beast. A light cafe racer makeover once she is solid ( well....being US...it comes with silly high bars and a seat a mile thick so those have got to be replaced whatever I do) and I plan to do as much of the work myself as possible.

Whilst I never had one of these myself...my old mate Dave did...blue F2... I had my trusty Z650 street sleeper with a Gpz750 motor, Mark on a GS750 .... those were the days. Before marriage, kids, careers, and all that stuff. Now I'm 50....losing my hair, and gaining type 2 diabetes and creaking joints....but I'm not ready for a pine box just yet! I have also started to understand why the old man spent so much time converting his Thunderbird to look like the one he had when he was 16 ....Newer isn't always better in the ways that count.

Now I'm off to grab a fresh cup of Ovaltine and a coule of Sanatogen to get my day started.
CB750F2 - in pieces

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2018, 10:52:31 AM »
Welcome. Don't forget the Paracetamol or Ibuprofen 😀😁😁
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2018, 07:28:53 PM »
Welcome. Don't forget the Paracetamol or Ibuprofen 😀😁😁

agrees with the nurse,I swear these sohc will last longer than most of us !!!

enjoy your fun time here
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2018, 09:19:04 PM »
Manuals all being downloaded right now :) Thanks Ashimoto ... will do some reading tonight before I break out the spanners. Haynes manuals...love them! Reassembly is the reverse of dismantling...one of the worlds greatest lies :)

TBH I find the older Haynes manuals to be quite useful in conjunction with the Genuine shop manual. Bet your'e not old enough to remember Arthur Haynes ;D ;D
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2018, 09:22:46 PM »

TBH I find the older Haynes manuals to be quite useful in conjunction with the Genuine shop manual. Bet your'e not old enough to remember Arthur Haynes ;D ;D

and Nicolas Parsons  was his straight man
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline adespin

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2018, 10:51:54 AM »
And how about Charley Drake and Harry Worth, a type of comedians you don't see any more.
Sorry about hi-jacking the original welcome thread.

Welcome to the forum Sumpmagnet.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 10:53:59 AM by adespin »
1971 cb750 K1

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2018, 12:24:26 PM »
I know nothing of therse turn of the century comedians of which you speak :)

I grew up with the Goons and Python.

Haynes manuals were the only game in town unitl  I had to spend money on a genuine manual from the manufacturers. Cost me a fortune ( back the ) but wow....the detail! Not to mention the pictures actually being of the bike you owned....I actually grew up in Somerset, not far from the home of Haynes. Those manuals did the job....but they were a minefield if you didn't use your common sense.

And I never mind a hi-jack if it's entertaining :)
CB750F2 - in pieces

Online AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2018, 02:25:20 PM »
I know nothing of therse turn of the century comedians of which you speak :)

I grew up with the Goons and Python.

Haynes manuals were the only game in town unitl  I had to spend money on a genuine manual from the manufacturers. Cost me a fortune ( back the ) but wow....the detail! Not to mention the pictures actually being of the bike you owned....I actually grew up in Somerset, not far from the home of Haynes. Those manuals did the job....but they were a minefield if you didn't use your common sense.

And I never mind a hi-jack if it's entertaining :)

Arthur was 1960's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX85MydKi30&t=825s

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal