Author Topic: 750F2 ...airbox...or pod filters  (Read 1828 times)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: 750F2 ...airbox...or pod filters
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2018, 10:45:14 PM »
I can believe that I just paid £35 for a genuine oil filter on my new van just to keep the warranty going  >:(
Then the garage wanted £425 just to change the oil  :o

Yep, that is unreal. Was in a bike main dealers and noticed that the price was £140 for a oil change and the labour charge to fit a chain and sprocket kit was £250  :o

Offline Green1

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2018, 10:56:15 PM »
That is taking the piss some what.
I didn't get the van serviced at the main dealers in the end. As long as a VAT registered garage do the work it keeps its warranty going. My brother did it for £100 the only problem is he had to stamp the book with a Kwikfit stamp.
So I have no chance of being able to sell it now  ;D ;D ;D   
Current bikes
Honda CB750k1 Valley Green Metallic
Honda CB750k1 Candy Gold
Honda CB550k Candy Jade Green
Honda CG125
Aprilia Pegaso 650
Moto guzzi 1200 sport
Kawasaki EX650R (Mine until dave pays for it)
Kawasaki ZXR400 J

Greebo

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2018, 10:45:09 AM »
My project bike is on the way, but I know it has not got an airbox and had some grotty pod filters which will not be left in place. They don;t look fit to filter air let alone dirt .... but the question is...what's the best route to go.

Originality says airbox, but I have had a brief trawl on E-Bay and not seen any F2 items for sale. Obviously, I would need a set of carb-box rubbers too as well as an element. Are these crafted from rocking horse poop...or just one of those thigns that come up if you look long enough?

She is going to get a light cafe racer makeover, so I could go for pod filters again, but I have had issues with these things in the past. Admittedly it was with CV carbs, which do not mix well with pod filters unless you like an overly rich midrange and lots of popping on the over-run...as well as wet running issues. I understand slide carbs are a bit easier to setup ass they are less reliant on intake pressure to work right. That was with old school K&Ns before the foam 'Ramair' type came out as well. Either way....I won't be looking at the cheap Chinese unbranded ones.

I also have no idea if the jetting is stock...but will be looking at the matter when I pull the carbs apart for a thorough clean and check. Somewhere in the shed lurks an old set of vacuum gauges too, which will need fresh pipes but should work.

If you going café racer style & sorting the internals of the carbs & perhaps upping the jet size, then forget Pod Filters & definately the Stock Airbox...
I have been through all this with my K6 & to get it running well with no missing or flat spots I tried velocity stack & bingo it worked perfect, it now runs like a gold watch....
Although the bike ran reasonable with the K&N Pods it had some missing & baulking at certain Revs which is not good enough. heres the link for the v-stacks & they are a damn site cheaper than the K&N's

https://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-chopper-custom-motorcycle-carburetor-parts-polished-aluminum-honda-cb750-velocity-stacks-full-taper-sd-ecb750-pft.html

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2018, 10:54:17 AM »
Mick....you got a deal. Drop me a message with the details and I can give you the address etc. Many thanks!

Those bellmouths Look tasty...but I want some kind of filtration. I want to be able to use the bike as everyday transport and I would just worry about grit and dirt getting in.
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Greebo

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2018, 11:08:20 AM »
The V-stacks have a mess gauze, but I guess you will have to see how it goes [trial & error] with the airbox or pods which ever you decide on

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2018, 09:56:22 PM »
well..I am going to give the airbox a spin first....but nothing is set in stone.
CB750F2 - in pieces

Greebo

« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2018, 04:51:12 PM »
well..I am going to give the airbox a spin first....but nothing is set in stone.

Go for it, but I have to say the Aesthetics of the stock air-box is not very Café Racer.... :o

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2018, 05:02:59 PM »
I know what you mean...but in reality...if I do go the bellmouth route, I would still want an airbox at home in case I ever chose to put it back to stock.
CB750F2 - in pieces

Greebo

« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2018, 09:55:29 AM »
I know what you mean...but in reality...if I do go the bellmouth route, I would still want an airbox at home in case I ever chose to put it back to stock.

Good luck with it mate...keep us all posted on the results... 8)

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2018, 02:41:10 PM »
Why's it listed as a KW4 if it's an early filter?

Depends on how early ! 30 years old. The bike was only in production for a few years and no one copied the air filter, so OEM part only that has not been available for 20 years  ;) Never used on any other model and the model was only sold in 3 counties  :o 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal