Author Topic: CB750F2 .... silk purse from a sows ear.  (Read 31596 times)

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: CB750F2 .... silk purse from a sows ear.
« Reply #240 on: May 27, 2020, 04:31:43 PM »
Yeah, I can see where you are going with that :)

I have the tailpiece and light etc. and while they are not perfect...it should be repairable. There is a bit of the side trim damaged on one side, but it's by no means beyond saving.
Interesting suggestion :)

Got a few weeks while the forks get done to ponder ideas. Once I got them rebuilt, I can throw the wheels in and actually sit on it and play with ideas a bit more
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 27, 2020, 05:43:08 PM »
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/627689266785911080/

I had a picture I'd stored but temporarily can't find it to post directly,  but the first one in the above link is the bike I was thinking of.

Really neat interpretation of the original Honda design that just looks very crisp  :D

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 27, 2020, 06:05:00 PM »
Now that does look tidy. I've dug out the tailpiece I have, and will have a look at repairing it. There is some plastic missing from the rear edge in the corner...but the trim that's damaged has beewn removed in those pics.

I even like the colour...well....it looks the same colour my Hornet is. Corbin seat.... find a rear light that fits in there neatly...yes....I can see that working

Ironically....I found another pic of the exact same bike.... with my initial idea done to one that is parked next to it.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm127/tweakin_photo/2cbs.jpg

So I can make a direct comparison!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 06:09:18 PM by SumpMagnet »
CB750F2 - in pieces

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 29, 2020, 03:57:31 PM »

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Here's another I was thinking of, it's in a build thread over on USA sohc site.

It just seems that Honda almost wasted the style of the F1 andF2 in UK guise as they seem to droop downward at the rear and suck the "sport" element out of them.

The one above,  to me at least,  appears to make the most of a really good tank and tail shape.

Did you see the program "goblin works garage " in which he did a bespoke seat by using a black yoga mat foam,  glued it in a stack to to layer it up,  then sculpted it with a very rough emery wheel on a hand grinder. 
Pretty effective way of building up a seat foam shape onto original base of your own design with very little cost.

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 29, 2020, 08:13:29 PM »
yeah...saw that. Have done it before myself.... used one of those closed cell mats for camping. Then covered it in flat vinyl.
Would have worked far better if the vinyl hadn't been that shiny...
CB750F2 - in pieces

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 30, 2020, 11:17:06 AM »
Some more bits and pieces :)

Money is a bit on the short side in the current climate...but small steps. Ordered Thursday...arrived today. Pretty rapid service from Dave Silvers.

Rubber mounts for the fuel tank, a fresh sealing washer for the fuel cap ( mine is a bit cracked....and probably won;t seal well ) and 4 fresh clips for the tank badges. Having seen the sort of money they fetch when they are for sale...I don;t want mine falling off when I finally find some.

The things are not threaded inserts or anything fancy...just clips that locate in the tank and grip a plain pastic shaft. I would suspect the badges on mine wer enot carefully removed before the recesses were filled in, and these sort of fastening tend to be single use only.
CB750F2 - in pieces

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 20, 2020, 11:10:55 AM »
Now...for some....a great occasion is that first startup, or getting the engione in the frame without loosing fingers, paint, temper or all of hte above.

Today, though, was a great occasion for me.

After far too many weeks of trying, or sweating, swearing, and blood sacrifices in the dark of the moon..... I GOT THE REAR BRAKE PISTON OUT!

so what, I hear you cry......but you weren't there man, you weren't there during the dark times.

Some interesting crud came out too, and the piston was not usable before I chewed it with molegrips .... but I was expecting a rebuild to be required.

How did we do this. We went primitive.

Fire. It kept us safe from wild beasts at the dawn of time, it made our food easier to digest, and it gave us warmth against the cold of winter. It also does a number on the seals, sweating them to the point where the rebuilt front MC I had hooked up could budge it. Until it cooled...whereupon it locked rigid again. FIRE! and it was out.
Bit of a mess to clean out, and I managed to ruin the paint on the MC spilling brake fluid on it, but a small price to pay.

Lumps of what I assume are fine grit or sand, mixed with solidified brake fluid were lurking in the back, along with a congealed spider nest. I suspect this caliper spent some time sitting with the hoses off.....or else the guy lived in a dusty place and took no care at all when topping up the fluid. But spiders?

CB750F2 - in pieces

Offline woody928

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 20, 2020, 12:59:58 PM »
I've just taken the long read of this epic journey, what an adventure you're on!

I do admire your enthusiasm and sense of humour through the difficult times and battles with stubborn parts. It looks like you're making some amazing progress. It's giving me some great and no so great ideas of what to expect along the way!

Keep it up, I'm glad to see that fire is still las relevant today as it was a couple of thousand years ago!  ;)

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 20, 2020, 02:12:35 PM »
It's a great sense of achievement when something like that happens, mixed with relief

Cheers

Dennis
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 20, 2020, 08:46:17 PM »
I am really enjoying putting this thing together, and this thread is kind of like a rebuild journal for me....as well as ( I hope ) an entertaining read.

I set myself the goal of doing this on minimal money, but also saving and reusing as much of the original as I possibly could. I could buy loads of parts and do it far quicker....but...then I would miss half the fun, would have to spend a load of money I don;t have...and...well....when I was done....I would probably have to go buy another wreck and start all over!

Maybe when I get a garage ;)
CB750F2 - in pieces

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 31, 2020, 06:05:37 PM »
Happy days :)

Forks are back from Philpotts and I can put them back together again and get a rolling chassis together at long last. Will make things easier in the shed as I will be able to move the thing about a bit!
CB750F2 - in pieces

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 01, 2020, 12:10:31 PM »
After initial paranoia about the forks and the fit, it's another excellent job by Philpotts. Threads all perfect and nicely fitting and everything dimensionally perfect.

So, with the forks here, it was time to build them up.

First task was to find the other parts, the fork lowers were easy, and the springs/dampers had all been carefully threaded onto wire loops and wrapped in rags so all the bits were in the right order. The fork springs didn't look like they were wound differently...but I still wanted to make sure they went back the same way round they came out. I wasted 5 minutes looking for some shims to go on top of the seals between the spring clips...until I checked the parts list...and these don't have them. Which explained why I couldn;t locate any. Most forks I have rebuilt have...or is it just a Kawasaki thing?

Anyway.....

So, found a lovely large impact socket for a drift ( no I dea what I bought it for...but it fitted something somewhere that I really needed..... ) and tapped in the seals. The well for the seals was deeper than the seals themselves.....so I tapped them in to just below the clip groove, and measured both to make sure they were the same. I wanted them to sit just under the clip and in line with the lower edge of the groove. I figured if I was meant to tap them all the way in....I could always go back and do it....but getting the seals out would probably mean mean new seals..... Having once fitted one upside down....I found out the hard way that just about every tool capable of loosening the grip of a seal wrecks it.

New clips went in easy. The old clips came out in pieces....

A little wipe of oil on the seals, dampers inserted...and the legs slid home sweetly. Dust caps were gently tapped home with a rubber mallet, and the process repeated for the second leg.

Now...to tighten up the damper bolts I need to compress the springs and screw in the caps. Then it's easy to nip up the damper bolt. Don;t want to fit the legs until I can drop the wheels in...and that really wants the dampers done up. Not sure if new copper washers are necessary...but I gave mine an anneal on the stove and will see if they are oil tight. They didn;t look dished or distorted....but if I need to, it will be done.

So just fill up with the right fork oil ....er..... fork oil. You did buy some fork oil right? Bother.

So...when I buy some fork oil, I will finish this off and pop the front wheel back in. Any recommendation on fork oils? Book says 10w .....

CB750F2 - in pieces

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 01, 2020, 01:25:20 PM »
Nice work there,  always good to build up things with well prepared components too.

I'm using Motul fork oil across different types of fork as it works well, bought via internet for availability and price. Mostly use 7.5 viscosity.

Auto transmission fluid is fine though,  but ordinarily rated at 5 viscosity which may feel a bit thin on this bike.  Certainly wouldn't initially go above 10 viscosity unless you identified genuine need as that usually stiffens them too much and they "bob" rather than move in a more supple way over stutter bumps.

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 01, 2020, 02:56:29 PM »
Looks good, it's really nice to put things together with all the nice bits to hand, certainly better than bashing them apart.

Cheers

Dennis
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 17, 2020, 06:40:11 PM »
Well...the project is on a bit of a hiatus, as I am trying to move house...and that is a thing of terror.

On the plus side...one of hte reasons I wantr to move house is because I have a small and overcrowded shed, with no access to the road. So if I build hte bike were it is....well...it would have to come aparrt again and be carried through the house!

The new place which I hope to buy (offer accepted....and same on my current place) has a garage. A proper one. All the space I will ever need. It's a super-mancave, and is this mans dream setup.
The bikes will have a dry and secure place to live, and there is even a house attached to the garage for the mrs.

If all goes well, progress will go a lot smoother as I will have room to spare!
CB750F2 - in pieces

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal