Author Topic: CB750F2 .... silk purse from a sows ear.  (Read 32648 times)

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: CB750F2 .... silk purse from a sows ear.
« Reply #285 on: January 03, 2022, 05:40:37 PM »
The unseasonably warm weather has allowed me to get some primer on the tank, and to finish off my extension piece.

I have made a 'hook' mount where the little tool tray bolts on .... and made a similar loop glassed in under the extension piece. An elastic loop ( Ok....its a strip of inner tube.... ) is looped on and clamps the piece down and forward. There will be another mount at the back....but that elastic hook is to hold the front edge down, and do so in a way that shouldn't risk damage to the tank.

The tank has got a coat of primer too.

Next job is to make up a rear number plate mount, which will go between the rear frame rails. Indicators will also be added at the back, bolted through the mounting holes at the end of the frame rails. I also need to work out a method of baking paint on engine cases.....they don't fit in the oven. Maybe I get myself a gas barbeque for the summer......

CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 04, 2022, 06:03:46 PM »
 I also need to work out a method of baking paint on engine cases.....they don't fit in the oven. Maybe I get myself a gas barbeque for the summer......

I used a similar method to this youtube video only I used 1/4 ply - it worked well. Other members used similar I think. Will be re-assembling mine to paint the cases on an engine I will be building this year (from spares I have accumulated over the years).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21AsnM71YM0
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 04, 2022, 06:23:13 PM »
excellent!

Boxes I got plenty of ( left over from moving house in the summer) foil I got..and a heat gun.

I am a little surprised a cardboard box can take the necessary heat...but...well..YouTube guy didn;t set fire to it...so I am convinced :)
CB750F2 - in pieces

Offline philward

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: January 04, 2022, 06:57:48 PM »
I used 1/4 ply that I gaffer taped together (which was soggy after the oven was used) - although with more patience, I could have screwed it together. I tin foiled a plywood base so I could place the box on or off crankcase easily. Make sure you make the bax tall enough for the crankcase and something to stand it on (I used a cut off a left over railway sleeper) so that the hot air can circulate around the crankcase.
I had a spare sheet of 1/4 ply but 3/8 ply would be easier to screw together. Once its all cut, you can assemble and de-assenble for ease of storage (as for most of us, its infrequently used).

There is a picture on a thread somewhere but for the life of me, I can't find it!
Current Bikes:-
Honda CB750K2 (1975)
Honda CB500K2 (12/1972)
Honda CR750 Replica (1972)
Honda CB350K0 (1969)
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3 (1995)
Kawasaki ZZR250 (1990) Project (Going on eBay ASAP)

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 02, 2022, 12:40:02 PM »
Not been able to do much recently as I was dealing with a few health issues that were affecting my ability to do any work out in the garage, but I need to get things moving again.

To spur me on, I did what any sensible guy would do, and spent some money.

Bought a set of Zed Parts stainless engine mounting bolts. Very nice they look too. They also will supply a shorter mounting bolt for the 12mm one that goes through the footrests for those fitting rearsets. As I am one of those folk....a shorter bot avoids having 30mm sticking out the end. Supplied with fresh nuts all round, they do look rather nice.

Now I got to go make those footrest hangar plates.

Also managed to modify a cheap steel rear mudguard off E-Bay to weld on some mountings to fit the frame rails, plus fitted a rear light, indicators and number plate mount. Matching small front indicators are also fitted. Wanted indicators for practicality, but didn;t want ones that stuck out like a sore thumb.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 12:45:40 PM by SumpMagnet »
CB750F2 - in pieces

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal