Author Topic: Hunting for a bad earth?  (Read 572 times)

Offline TrickyMicky

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Hunting for a bad earth?
« on: August 01, 2018, 11:37:46 AM »
Hi Gang,  for the 1st time in many years I took the dear old 400 out in the dark. Upon reaching empty unlit roads I sampled the piercing power of the 35watt main beam, no probs apart from looking at the warning light cluster showed the blue main beam light working along with a dim glow from BOTH yellow indicator warnings! When using the indicators, they worked fine, but the yellow warning light flashed for the WRONG direction! All the actual lights themselves worked ok. Before I disembowel all the spaghetti from the headlamp shell and dissect the warning light cluster, is anybody able to say "AHA, I know exactly what that is". I was hoping that when I got rid of my old Peugeot 406 I'd finished with vehicles that had become 'possessed' electrically! Regards, Mick.

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
Re: Hunting for a bad earth?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 02:47:37 PM »
As you headed the question,  I'd agree you are hunting an earth fault.

Deficient for one of the high load components,  it'll try to scavenge through other components seeking the earth it requires to get itself going.

Initially I'd suspect the earth tabs that are usually inside the headlight shell onto the fixing bolts for the shell as indicator load normally goes via those.

Offline Athame57

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
    • SeaWitch Artist
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 02:59:26 PM »
Beneath the headlamp is a lonely wire that fits to the yoke. It bolts on with the brake hose joint holder. I messed with mine recently and lights went all wrong, it seems very fussy about being put back properly.
I brake for animals!
1978 CB400F2

Offline billywingnut

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 06:52:13 PM »
I had problems with bad earthing similar to yours. It turned out that the indicator bracket which had been powder coated ( new off DS spares) It earths through the two headlamp bolts. I had to rub some paint off then all was well

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal