Author Topic: Clutch annoyance  (Read 438 times)

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Clutch annoyance
« on: August 06, 2018, 04:16:03 PM »
Having made my bike run properly again I now notice that when I try to accelerate hard to overtake things the clutch very often starts slipping.  This is really annoying and is the one thing that puts me off this machine.  I have searched through the various articles about this but cannot find a definitive answer.

I notice that my bike is running the original clutch and it operates very smoothly under normal circumstances engaging and disengaging properly but when I push the bike hard in third or fourth gear it will slip and also if I go over a bump in the road at higher speeds in top gear.  Is there an upgrade that actually works such as different plates or springs?  I saw an article here about 450 plates and cb77 springs but that didn't seem conclusive.....

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch annoyance
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 04:46:14 PM »
How many miles has the clutch done? They do eventually wear out, the plates get worn, the springs lose some of their tension, even old or dirty oil can make them slip under hard acceleration or rough roads. Check the cable for being over adjusted or stiff, and try adjusting the worm drive of the clutch actuator. If that doesn't help, it may be time for new plates and springs!
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Colonial-Clive (yindi)

• Colonial_clive
  • SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 07:18:28 PM »
I put Barnet plates and updated springs in no slip only have to break them free before starting when stood for a while.

Offline florence

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 09:12:36 AM »
ooh, now that looks good, I shall give them a try.

When I first had the bike it had done about 7000 miles and the clutch slipped then despite careful adjustment etc.  I think the standard plates are not ideal and it will be very interesting to try the Barnett type.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal