Author Topic: Tapered head bearings question  (Read 961 times)

Online sye

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Tapered head bearings question
« on: August 08, 2018, 03:18:03 PM »
Do you still use the lower dust seal and washer when fitting tapered head bearings? Just checking before I fit them and there's none in the kit and no destructions either. Thanks, Sye.

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
Re: Tapered head bearings question
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 03:29:43 PM »
If it is a Allballs, you fit the medium washer then the seal and then the bearing  ;)

Online sye

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 03:49:16 PM »
QMP from DSS Graham? Two bearings and one washer is all there is...

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
  • ZZR1100D9, CB750K4, RD250F, NSR250MC21, RD350YPVS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 07:30:45 PM »
Yep.... no seal in that kit. The instructions mention a seal but only for the 400cc model iirc. Bit of a poor job in my opinion but hey ho.  Put plenty of grease on it and dont go out in the rain and it should be ok  :-\

Online sye

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 08:00:41 PM »
I can easily return it and order a different make?

Online sye

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 09:01:27 PM »
I can get Pyramid ones supposedly made in Japan or All Balls. Unless anyone knows of a better choice?

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 09:31:17 PM »
All Balls but make sure the seal is included.

All balls part number....596955#WZJLPK, comes with both seals and all the washers etc.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 09:36:07 PM by Nurse Julie »
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Online sye

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 10:23:48 PM »
You can actually buy Koyo bearings but not as a kit. The top roller is an H264815 (26x48.5x15) and the lower is an H305014 (30x50x14) plus the washer is available too. Still no dust seal but I suppose I could use the Honda one. Only problem is that the Koyo ones work out at £40. Hmmm, is it worth the difference.  :-\

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 10:32:03 PM »
All Balls are made in China, you work out which is better

NTN, KOYO, and SKF all have factory's now in China. Honda licenced bearings are now made in China  ;)

Online sye

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2018, 10:38:04 AM »
All Balls are made in China, you work out which is better

NTN, KOYO, and SKF all have factory's now in China. Honda licenced bearings are now made in China  ;)

There is nothing wrong with a lot of stuff that's made in China. It's the generic crap that you need to avoid. NTN, KOYO and SKF do manufacture some of their bearings in China but they are run and operated by Japanese management and QC is very high on the list. The quality of these bearings is at least equivalent to any bearing made in Japan.

The problem is the generic crap that's churned out and then branded by someone else. This stuff is usually very poor quality and will fail prematurely for sure. I don't know if All Balls own the factory, if it's made to their spec or it's generic crap. It's unlikely to be the latter I guess.

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
  • ZZR1100D9, CB750K4, RD250F, NSR250MC21, RD350YPVS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2018, 01:16:16 PM »
I've used an all-balls kit on my ZZR1100 a few years ago, the bike weights a ton, but no problems at all with the bearings up to press...

The only problem with trying to use the original Honda dust seal is that the original outer race is recessed to accept it, but the replacement bearings are not... I will replace the DSS head bearing kit at a later date as the lack of a proper seal bothers me, but I was keen to keep moving during the build so I used it.

Online sye

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2018, 11:20:26 AM »
Swapped it for an All Balls kit, now installed and looks fine, thanks everyone.  ;D

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2018, 02:33:14 PM »
A while ago I was working at Holset engineering/ Cummins turbo's and was in their RD lab and there were a lot of turbo's in bits on a table. Talking to them they were Chinese copies of their turbo's, and I commented that no doubt they would be crap. The response was sadly not they were all bang on spec both on machining tolerances and material specs and about a third of the price.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2018, 07:26:25 PM »
China is a massive place with multiple factories. Some produce absolute rubbish, some make good stuff. I have 12v quad bike winches I use for logging, one was £98 and has lasted years, only breakdowns are due to my ineptitude or abuse and it's pulled many tons of timber, enough to heat my house for 6 years and put a new roof on it, and build a wood shed. That's a lot of timber, we don't have oil or gas to back the wood burners up. That means the woodshed is a decent size too. The other Chinese winch looks very much like the first but cost half the price even 6 years later. It's broken several times despite careful handling. Opening it up to fix a bad connection I found about 6mm play in the rear bearing, - no wonder it sounded rough. Never done more than a minute of winning without a 10 minute cool down and only pulled about a years firewood. It's an interesting mix of good parts and flimsy plastic. I think the rear bushing of the motor was actually low grade plastic, I think a brass replacement may get turned up in my lathe.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal