Author Topic: Smaller capacity bikes  (Read 1557 times)

Offline Underdog1

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
Smaller capacity bikes
« on: August 15, 2018, 07:20:49 PM »
Had a feeling recently that I’d like to add a smaller capacity CB/4 to my fleet,  took my old mans 600 sports bike out earlier which I found pretty boring - reminded me of a saying that it’s more fun riding a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Those of you with 500/4’s, 400/4s and smaller - what’s the attraction for you? I fancy something small and light for pootling through the country lanes to get into town on, Sunday afternoon to the pub etc. Basically I want something that will put a smile on my face without having to ride fast - do you find these smaller bikes give you this?

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Smaller capacity bikes
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 07:59:42 PM »
I have a very revvy 125 YAM.it's perfect for twisting country roads.And soon a CB200 for the same reason. But easier to ride

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Davelu88

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 08:03:53 PM »
With a 400/4 because its very revvy and light you can still throw it through those country lanes and it needs  plenty of up & down gear changes , for me it always seems & sounds like im doing a ton when im probably doing 40!!!. Great fun

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 09:12:47 PM »
Agree with both John and Dave. The CB400/4 is very revvy, hates lugging and it is a constant up and down the gearbox job. Great fun to ride and performs at its best being riden hard but no good for a lazy pootle around, they really do not like it. I also have a Honda CD250u, twin, you can ride it hard and it will put up with everything you give it but you can also pootle around in 5th gear and ride her around all day. The CB550/4 is the best of both worlds, will absolutely fly when you want her to, handling is exceptional and you can really throw her around, or you can plod along, taking it easy, she doesn't mind either way.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 10:17:44 PM »
You only have a 250 when you can drag Trig off it. ;D
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 10:19:28 PM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 11:23:27 PM »
You only have a 250 when you can drag Trig off it. ;D
That's true Roy. He likes riding mine because its faster than his CD250u  ;D ;D ;D
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 08:46:02 AM »
Cb500/4 is my favourite bike, it's just for me perfectly preportioned and feels very right, it can go when you give it stick but still excellent for a relaxed pootle around, it is the only bike or car I have ever had where I have just gone out for a ride with no actual aim to the trip, no destination, just fill the tank and explore random roads to see where the day takes me. The cb550 is a tiny bit bigger and I feel slightly less part of the bike, but the cb550k3 does have the mixed blessing of lean burn carbs. That gives you more mpg plus a seat like an armchair with its comfort but at the cost of the carbs reputation for clogging. Mine was fine in daily use for a few years but got the sulks when parked up for a few years. The cb500/4 is also prettier in my opinion. Some complain of clutch slip, mine only did that when I put a cb550 motor in there after the gearbox lost 1st gear when under load at 200,000 miles and counting.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline flatfour

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 09:05:20 AM »
Most of the bikes that I own now are the same models that I originally owned in the 1970's. The originals were sold long ago and at considerable cost (both in terms of money and effort) I have since replaced them with as near to the originals as I could find.

I have ended up with quite a few bikes by doing this and, of all of those that I now have, the CB500/4 is my favourite to ride, as it was all of those years ago. It is physically big enough for comfort, handles more predictably than most of the others, sounds quite lovely and can be ridden either slowly or quickly without fuss. In the 1970's I had two CB500's in quick succession, having sold the first and realising that I had made a mistake.

My real problem with the 500 is that as I have other bikes that are smaller (ideal for pub nights etc.) and larger (more comfort, power etc.) I don't really use it much at all!

As an aside, I have been in touch with Draganfly Motorcycles at Bungay (just a few miles from home) and they are now manufacturing Craven luggage, including racks, fitting kits and period style top boxes and panniers. Someone who I dealt with extensively at DS now works at Draganfly and as a result they are going to use both my 500/4 and 750/4 to measure from and intend to offer all of these items for the bikes in the future.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 09:26:22 AM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 09:40:51 AM »
Nice little bike there Ash, but I don't buy his "unrestored" statement, allen head bolts all over the place, and I don't recall the head being painted originally, so rather pricey me thinks!
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2018, 10:08:59 AM »
Nice little bike there Ash, but I don't buy his "unrestored" statement, allen head bolts all over the place, and I don't recall the head being painted originally, so rather pricey me thinks!

Agreed 100% ... but it was the best one I could find to use as an example. very pricey ..knock at least a grand off in that condition
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2018, 10:42:44 AM »
I know these are a different ball game entirely but I am seriously considering a cb250 Hornet, which is a four. It should be fun keeping one of those on the boil.

Offline Spitfire

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2018, 11:18:51 AM »
In 1972 I sold my brand newish CB750K2 to get the deposit for a house as I had just got married, to get to work I bought a CD175 and boy did I have some fun on it, times to get to work were not that different as it was all lanes riding and it was fun to ride.

Cheers

Dennis
1976 CB750F

1977 CB750F2 In bits

1964 BSA A65R In bits

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2018, 11:28:49 AM »
I still get bags of fun out of my CD175 you just have to be in the right frame of mind for it.

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2018, 02:19:22 PM »
Most of the bikes that I own now are the same models that I originally owned in the 1970's. The originals were sold long ago and at considerable cost (both in terms of money and effort) I have since replaced them with as near to the originals as I could find.

I have ended up with quite a few bikes by doing this and, of all of those that I now have, the CB500/4 is my favourite to ride, as it was all of those years ago. It is physically big enough for comfort, handles more predictably than most of the others, sounds quite lovely and can be ridden either slowly or quickly without fuss. In the 1970's I had two CB500's in quick succession, having sold the first and realising that I had made a mistake.

My real problem with the 500 is that as I have other bikes that are smaller (ideal for pub nights etc.) and larger (more comfort, power etc.) I don't really use it much at all!

As an aside, I have been in touch with Draganfly Motorcycles at Bungay (just a few miles from home) and they are now manufacturing Craven luggage, including racks, fitting kits and period style top boxes and panniers. Someone who I dealt with extensively at DS now works at Draganfly and as a result they are going to use both my 500/4 and 750/4 to measure from and intend to offer all of these items for the bikes in the future.
Hope they give you an early set for free. Least they could do for the lend of two bikes.
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal