SOHC.co.uk Forums > Project Board

1975 400/4 project

<< < (21/22) > >>

Sprocket:
Finished putting attaching most of the important pieces on Saturday
[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Sunday morning I decided to actually try to start it.

Would you believe it was on the first prod of the starter?

No, me neither. In fact though - I think I can claim this... When you set the fuel tap to 'On' instead of 'Res' and you only have about a litre of fuel in it, then realise, and set it correctly ... THIS happens:

https://youtu.be/vglFIYK9DAI

I let it warm up for a minute or so, playing with the throttle and watching all manner of smoke appear from various places, but the engine was firing on 4 and seemed pretty dang smooth!

I took it up the road for a quick ride, got into 3rd and noted a bit of clutch slip, so gingerly brought it back. Could be because I cleaned the plates, or they could be at the end of their limit - they were thin but still had some life left, will try again at some point and report back.

Next job is to start at the front of the bike and work back, checking torque of every fastener and giving it a dob of paint.

Then I'll flat the side panels, stick the stickers on and lacquer - then we'll consider this job done! ;D

Sprocket:
Well, I think this project has reached a significant milestone, in that I've been carried 85 miles under it's own power now!

I had the clutch out on Saturday to look at why it was slipping about 5k, seems the basket fingers were pretty well scalloped so I filed them flat and cross hatched the steel clutch plates. Fresh oil back in, and it's like night and day, proper strong clutch action.

Further running in about 50 miles tootling round taking the revs up to about 5-6k, mixture of hard work and varied speeds - all seems good so far!

Had a long chat with a farmer coming out of his gate who stopped and told me it was a really nice job. That perked me up a bit too, cos I think it looks a bit rough!

taysidedragon:
Looking good. 👍

Greg65:
When we are close up and personal with our projects, we often get engrossed in our current problem and the next one on the horizon. I certainly forgot to stand back and look at what I had achieved. You need someone to remind you. Well done.

Greg

Laverda Dave:
Lovely job👍. You think it's a bit rough 😮!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version