Author Topic: Is this a carburetion problem?  (Read 563 times)

Offline keithtraffic

• View Profile
Is this a carburetion problem?
« on: August 21, 2018, 08:58:02 PM »
Over the last couple of months I have noticed that cylinder 2 has been ever more reluctant to fire up - up until now, with a bit of perseverance, it has started and once the whole bike has been running for a while its quite smooth.

However at the last attempt I could not get cylinder 2 to fire at all (exhaust pipe is completely cold even after a minute or two, whilst the rest are hot). There is a good spark and timing is OK.

Is there an easy way to confirm if it is a carb problem without completely dismantling - is there anything I can easily do with the carbs still on the bike - I was minded to have them off during the winter as at least one is weeping very slightly, but I had hoped to keep the bike on the road for another month or two before the winter really sets in.

Any advice welcome.

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
Re: Is this a carburetion problem?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 09:00:14 PM »
K3 carbs are notorious for gumming up if not used regularly.

You may need to take them down over the winter.
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Online Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 09:21:16 PM »
give it a large dose of Redex injecter/carb cleaner ,it may help

lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 09:22:14 PM »
You can take out the carb balance screw on that cylinder and while it's running spray a small amount of carb cleaner in via a tube.  If it chimes in on that cylinder then you'll know it's a lack of fuel that's the problem as it'll be running on your supply.  This'll serve to diagnose missing fuel but not fix it.

As Steve says,  they have very fine jetting and may need very careful and diligent cleaning to get them reliably metering fuel correctly.  Accurate and economical running,  these carbs are good in my view but can give a bit of a run around in getting them properly functioning.

Bike looks good.

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
  • ZZR1100D9, CB750K4, RD250F, NSR250MC21, RD350YPVS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 01:21:12 PM »
don't assume it can only be the carb, you could waste time removing and stripping it and be no further forward afterwards...  check the valve clearances and do a compression test first, easy and quick.

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 08:00:37 PM »
I would second the advice of a hefty dose of redex, I play around a lot with dead engines that have stood far too long and many a carb issue has been resolved by first spraying carb cleaner into the carbs accessible bits, letting it stand a bit then starting the engine and running it effectively on the carb cleaner then running the engine with redex treated fuel for the next few tankfulls, it's worked on about 10 engines this year that had truly awful carbs that had decade old fuel left in them or worse water, doesn't work miracles, but does save a lot of time and effort. I used it a lot on my 500/4 which had a habit of dumping fuel from the overflow if the petrol tap was left on for any length of time, roughly every 6 months it would get silky and dup petrol, redex generally sorted it. I have also had some luck soaking carbs in cellulose thinners instead of petrol in the tank, even running the engine off the stuff, when there's a lot of varnish in the carbs internals. Depends how bad things are and how much aerosol carb cleaner I have sat around. Last time I bought cellulose thinner it was significantly cheaper than petrol and my lawnmower that was suffering from stale fuel clogging it up ( frenzy out of neighbours skip), ran fine on carb cleaner though it smelt funny.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock

Offline keithtraffic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 03:42:40 PM »
Thanks all for the advice.

Interesting comment from "matthewmosse" about the dumping of fuel from the overflow, as No 2 Carb (which is feeding the cylinder which is not firing) has done this on a couple of occasions recently!

Will try the carb cleaner via the balance screw to see if the cylinder fires (seems like a pretty easy test) then decide if its Redex or time for a complete strip down.

In any case one the tank is off will also have a look at the valve clearances etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal