Author Topic: Sodding postman  (Read 1753 times)

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
Re: Sodding postman
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2018, 01:37:43 PM »
Hope you get it sorted Roy. When I received my tank and panels back from Menno the delivery man dropped both parcels off to two different people, one was over 1/2mile away (this is in London!) the other 5 doors down the road. The muppet didn't bother to leave a card where he had left them. Myself and Menno had to play hunt the parcel for three days!
Alan, your Triumph tank looks fantastic.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
Re: Sodding postman (updated)
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2018, 07:37:36 AM »
A quick update to the DHL saga.

Well I sent the dented tank back to Menno who carefully repaired the dents that DHL put in it. Several weeks later I got an email to say it was ready and on it's way back via DHL again.

All's good then except the bunch of muppets lost it. After Menno made several requests that they actually need to go and find it, they finally managed to deliver it 34 days after posting. This time it's not dented but it's been wrapped in plastic that long the paint has softened and caused it to bubble up.

So it'd going back to Menno for the third time who now has to start all over again from the stripping tank onwards. But at least this time it was sent insured for 500 euros. Only problem with that is DHL Germany have told Menno that I have to claim in the UK, and DHL England say it has to be claimed in Germany. So even the DHL insurance is useless. To be honest I wouldn't have expected any different.

I feel really bad for Menno who has been fantastic all through this. But he really does need to learn not to use DHL again. So far just the postage back to Germany 3 times has cost me £132.

SO BE WARNED, anyone thinking of using DHL do so at your peril.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 07:41:03 AM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline paul G

• SOHC Master
  • No room left in the garage what now !
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2018, 08:03:00 AM »
Hope you get it sorted Roy, I had an issue with them last week and ended up having to do a round trip of 24 miles to get a parcel they failed to deliver.
Set of wan@@rs.
Honda CB400 4
Honda CB550 K3 (sold)
Honda CB750 UK K1
Kawasaki Z650 C2
Kawasaki Z650 cafe racer (Sold)
Honda CD175 sloper

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2018, 09:58:23 AM »
I work in that trade ....and I feel your pain....I really do.

As far as claiming goes...the contract for posting sits with the sender. He has contracte with DHL Germany to send the parcel. As the recipient, you have no legal right to claim anything and certainly would get no joy from DHL in the UK, even if they are responsible for losing the item. They will have internal arrangements with DHL in Germany to sort that out between them. That is not your problem..or Menno's.

Where you mioght come unstuck ( sorry...couldn't resist that one ) is in proving that they are responsible for damaging the paint. Dents, scratches and damage on a well packed item are clear evidence of mis-handling and very easy to claim for. Less easy is damage like this. This is the result of fresh paint being stored in poor conditions .... but I would lay a bet they are going to imply the paint was not fully cured when the thing was wrapped, and blame the sender.

Probably another reason why it is better that Menno chase the claim with DHL Germany, as he would be recognised as a professional painter and able to supply evidence of his process and materials used.

This time of year is hell on earth for parcel companies, made even worse by the total plums who thought we needed 'Black Friday' to add more short duration massive volume pressure to already stretched networks in the run up to Christmas.
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline Laverda Dave

• SOHC Jedi
  • Health is wealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2018, 11:51:10 AM »
Roy, if you think DHL are bad Parcel Monkey are even worse. They collected my tank, side panels and seat cowl from my CB250RSA. Three days later they placed another additional high charge on my debit card without telling me claiming the parcel weighed 35kg and not the 11kg I claimed and had weighed prior to collection. If it was that heavy it would have taken two people to lift it! I never got my money back despite threatening them with court. Their online reviews are not good either, I wish I had read them prior to placing the order.
I hope you get your painting back in one undamaged piece this time and credit to Menno as well, he's ace 👍.
1976 Honda 400/4
1977 Rickman Honda CR750
1999 Honda VFR 800FX
1955 750 Dresda Triton
1978 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1978 Honda CB400/4 'Rat' bike
1982 Laverda 120 Jota

Offline MCTID

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2018, 12:01:41 PM »
The Delivery Guy asked me if I would take a parcel for my next door neighbour. He said that he's had a merry dance finding it as Google Maps directs you to the service entry at the back of our street (between two streets).

Of course I took it in (being a good neighbour). It was addressed to Sally Par******, 12, Lytham St Annes !!!!!!!! no street name.......DOH.

We used to own a Newsagents in a quiet little Village near Dorking........many of the houses and cottages had no numbers.....just names like Half Way House, Two Way House etc and it's amazing how many places don't have a number on the front door or on the gate. I could have written a book on the subject believe me.

One day (just after we had bought the shop) after wasting 10 minutes trying to deliver the last Newspaper, I had to return to the shop and ask our assistant where the hell 'FGS' was.........it turned out to be a private house called South Lodge, but the Computer print out for the Newspaper Round printed it out as FGS.......which stood for Fitzg**** Cleaning Services !

It took me a good 3 months before I mastered the idiosyncracies of that Village !
Now: 2008 CB1300S, CB750K4, 1970 Bonneville. Various other 1960's 650 Triumph T120's/ TR6's/ TR6C's (all in bits...many, many bits unfortunately). Previous: 2007 CB600FA, 1976 CB500 Four. BMW F800ST. GS750E. ZZR1100. CB1300 (2). ZXR1200S. VFR800. CB750 Nighthawk. CX500. XS500 Yam. Suzuki GT500. BSA A10. Various Lambrettas. Zundapp Bella (honest).

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2018, 12:29:27 PM »
Roy, if you think DHL are bad Parcel Monkey are even worse. They collected my tank, side panels and seat cowl from my CB250RSA. Three days later they placed another additional high charge on my debit card without telling me claiming the parcel weighed 35kg and not the 11kg I claimed and had weighed prior to collection. If it was that heavy it would have taken two people to lift it! I never got my money back despite threatening them with court. Their online reviews are not good either, I wish I had read them prior to placing the order.
I hope you get your painting back in one undamaged piece this time and credit to Menno as well, he's ace 👍.

I think what you need to be really careful with is 'volumetric weight' i.e. you can have a parcel that weighs b*gger all but  is in a large box. I often send stuff that's less than 5kg but need to pay the 15kg option because of the box size. I usually try to use UPS drop-off and touch wood they have been great.

Roy what a bummer  ... I feel your pain plus it must be a nightmare for Menno as well ...The guy I sometimes use in the UK for paint is very, very reluctant to post stuff because of previous issues with postage plus a lot of the paint he does is not fully hardened but the customer wants it ASAP.
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1974 UK 500/4 K1. Honda CD250u.
  • Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2018, 12:57:02 PM »
Touch wood, so far I have never had a problem sending paint sets to Menno with My Hermes. I know that is no guarantee for future sets though. I had a set back last week from Menno by DHL, no problem , I have never had a problem with DHL. I have another set ready to go but will wait until after Xmas......just in case.
LINK TO MY EBAY PAGE. As many of you know already, I give 10% discount and do post at cost to forum members if you PM me direct.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/julies9731/m.html?item=165142672569&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2018, 02:29:30 PM »
Parcel Monkey are what is known in the trade as a 'Reseller'.

They do not colect or deliver parcels, but consolidate business and then use other carriers for delivery..using hte volume contract to lever a discount and cream off a profit. If you run into problems, Parcel Monkey should take everything on..but they don't want to know. They will pass the buck and leave you high and dry.
As Ashkimoto said..volumetric weight is usually there in carriers terms and conditions...which PArcel Monkey won;t show but put in THEIR small print that you should go to the carriers website and read up there. Provided you know which carrier to read up on...

I have had horrid issues with DPD, UK Mail and DHL in recent years. The moral of the strory is that service will only be as good as the guy who walks up your path. A good driver will give you a good service. My DPD issue was down to a relief driver who didn't care, and UK mail was a sub contractor who was trying to take too much work.
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline royhall

• SOHC Jedi
  • Keep biking I'm not quite bankrupt yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2018, 03:14:14 PM »
Strange you mention UK Post and DHL as both being bad, they are the same company.

Some secondhand parts I ordered from Germany about 2 years ago were sent with DHL and I have yet to receive them, the seller refunded me.

DHL Germany are now saying I have to take photos and go to the DHL pick-up point with the tank to get it verified. Get a written report off them and send it all to Menno who can then try to claim. Can you imagine the girl behind the busy counter in the local 7/11 drop-off point writing a report on the condition of a fuel tank. What a load of run around nonsense, I knew the insurance would be as worthless as the company. But still I told Menno I would try so that's what I shall do. I should try to get a picture of the poor girls face when I dump that on the counter. ;D
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 03:17:10 PM by royhall »
Current bikes:
TriBsa CCM 350 Twin
Honda CB350F in Candy Bacchus Olive
Honda CB750F2 in Candy Apple Red
Triumph Trident 660 in Black/White
Triumph T100C
Suzuki GS1000HC
Honda CB450K0 Black Bomber
Honda CB750K5 in Planet Blue Metallic (Current Project)

Offline taysidedragon

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2018, 04:19:03 PM »
The doorbell rang this morning at 7.18am. It was the bloody Royal Mail delivering a parcel! Proper red van and everything.

I'm not good first thing in the morning so not best pleased.  >:(
Gareth

1977 CB400F
1965 T100SS

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal