SOHC.co.uk Forums > Project Board

Yankee Doodle not so dandy CB400 rebuild

(1/14) > >>

Skunky:
Hi

I have decided to detail my restoration of a 74 CB400F here.

The bike was imported in may and shows 6700 miles and is in a pretty sorry state. The ignition switch is missing and it looks as if it stood for a long time.
I took the tank and seat off and it looks ok. The front wheel is out of line but the frame seems ok. I expect that The triple trees need adjustment. The front brake is buggered and the brake fluid has turned to crack cocaine. Which can only make it faster 👍
Apart from a broken headlight and missing switch/keys, everything is there. The engine turns over on the Kickstarter and there’s new oil in it. I suspect someone has tried to start it.

Here are a few before photos

[ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ] [ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Skunky:
Like every builder I started looking online to see the cost of the Honda parts and while on eBay I saw a headlight which I negociated down to £32. It arrived today I was surprised to see it was original old stock. Result 👍

JamesH:
Great project you have there. Will follow with interest..

petermigreen:
Good luck on your adventure.
I'm not sure how you'd adjust the yokes. I would expect that you might find the fork stanchions are bent. Be interesting to see how that turns out. If they are you can have them straightened or replaced at your preference.
Sounds like you've been lucky with missing parts. All the parts you've got just need sprucing up  ;D
I'll also be following with interest.
Peter

paul G:
Great starting point. Give philpots a ring on the stantchions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version