Author Topic: Yankee Doodle not so dandy CB400 rebuild  (Read 1413 times)

Offline Nurse Julie

• 1973 CB750 UK K2.1977 CB550/4 Mongrel Brat. 1978 CB400/4.
  • SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Yankee Doodle not so dandy CB400 rebuild
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2018, 01:04:23 PM »
Im putting half a hand up as I never new the spring and ball were there until we had an in depth discussion on here about what made the 'click'  when moving the lever up and down. I was ready for the little blighters when I took mine apart.
Im a Nurse, trust me, this won't hurt.....much !!!

LINK TO MY CB400/4 ENGINE STRIP / ASSESSMENT AND REBUILD...NOW COMPLETE
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,14049.msg112691/topicseen.html#new

Offline Skunky

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2018, 01:39:55 PM »
Still, The carburettor rebuild is nearly complete. All the carbs have been scrapped scrubbed and cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner, tops and bowls polished, new jets needles and seals fitted and reassembled. Then Disassembled as the light dawned on the missing spring. A manual set up bench set up to get it as close as possible to factory and then should be able to get a start. One tip I could pass on. I managed to rescue the floats but the pins were of course ruined. I bought a 2mm model makers brass rod from fleabay for £2.99 for 200mm and cut my own pins rather than pay £2.50 each for them. Still got enough for another rebuild  ;D. Got my eyes open for a set of Vacuum gauges but in no hurry.
Honda CB400F USA
Triumph Thruxton 900
BMW K100 Custom Buils

Offline Skunky

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2018, 06:43:39 PM »
Hi Honda lovers, It’s been a long time since my last confession. I finished the carburettor rebuild some time ago and it’s been sitting in the garage calling to me.
Before I start the strip down, I wanted to gauge the engine condition. As previously mentioned the engine turns over and has compression. I put the carbs back on hooked it up to the car battery and tried to start. She popped and spluttered and then

https://youtu.be/CKfXo_9H4Lo

The Engine doesn’t sound too bad for a 44 year old.
Honda CB400F USA
Triumph Thruxton 900
BMW K100 Custom Buils

Offline rozabikes

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2018, 10:34:39 PM »
Nice one. Great feeling when they first fire up!
One day I'll have the time to restore it, not just talk and dream....