Author Topic: Cb750 clutch replacement  (Read 1361 times)

Offline Paulreade

• SOHC newcomer
  • SOHC Associate
  • Carpe diem
    • View Profile
Cb750 clutch replacement
« on: September 05, 2018, 05:56:16 PM »
I've never replaced a clutch on a motorcycle but I need to do mine on the k6. I'm relatively ok at a DIY mechanics level - is it a relatively simple job to do, is there anything I need to watch out for. I will seek guidance from YouTube etc before I start and read the text available on line. I'm going to change the oil at the same time so I assume once drained I can set the bike on its centre stand rather than the side stand to prevent any seepage ??????
The clutch is almost at the extent of the lever being entirely out ( even with proper adj) and it clatters like hell when the clutch lever is out on tickover, so I'm hoping I will get some improvement when complete. I may have to check the carb balancing to ease some of the clatter as I believe that is generally the cause ?
Current bikes:
Suzuki GSX 1250 FA
Triumph t100 bonneville
Honda cb750 k6

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Cb750 clutch replacement
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 07:12:28 PM »
Fairly easy job to do, but you will need a clutch nut spanner, plenty on e-bay, but don't get ripped off on price! Changing the plates will do nothing to quieten the rattle on the 750 motor, nearly always down to carb balance. You'll find it easier to work on the clutch with the bike on sidestand if you haven't got a bench, saves getting a stiff neck getting down to see what you're doing!
If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

Offline Paulreade

• SOHC newcomer
  • SOHC Associate
  • Carpe diem
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 07:41:51 PM »
Ah that's why it needs to be on the side stand ?. I thought it was something to do with the oil level !.
Current bikes:
Suzuki GSX 1250 FA
Triumph t100 bonneville
Honda cb750 k6

Offline Trigger

• Grogu
  • Engines built on reputation, not advertising.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 07:50:05 PM »
Clutch rattle is the characteristics of the 750 SOHC, early ones even rattle more  ;)

Offline Simon46

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 08:56:01 PM »
My k8 does it. My 78 dt175mx does it. My 87 XT600 doesn't.
They all work OK though
1978 Cb750k8 US Import

Offline Paulreade

• SOHC newcomer
  • SOHC Associate
  • Carpe diem
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 08:04:41 AM »
By way of a comparison Simon, I wouldn't mind calling over one day as I've literally never met a another Honda (cb750) owner. We are not a million miles away either. I'll message you to set up soon if ok with you.
Current bikes:
Suzuki GSX 1250 FA
Triumph t100 bonneville
Honda cb750 k6

Offline Simon46

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 12:24:10 PM »
Sure no worries. Let me know when you want to come round. Pm is best I would have thought for security
1978 Cb750k8 US Import

Offline K2-K6

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2018, 02:49:41 PM »
The sound these engines make is often discussed, so quite a few other threads reference that, but it's not the clutch that's making the noise.

Higher among the preconceptions is it's design that differs from other types in clutch mounting.  Coming principly from Kawasaki Z1 type designs,  the primary drive is taken direct off the crank with a gear,  mounted to this gear is the clutch basket which can rattle dependant on the mounting design used on those engines. This being transposed onto the Honda SOHC construction is not valid as there is no primary gear with clutch mounted to it. Often given as a common problem,  it doesn't exist in the Honda and no common solutions would follow.

When the clutch is released,  the clutch pack of plates is immobile from one component to another (else it wouldn't transmit drive) this also won't give you any sound. What is heard are the remainder of the drive train responding to oscillations in crank speed. When you pull the clutch lever it disconnects the onward drivetrain so it's not rotating (if clutch is fully releasing correctly),  when you let the lever go it will rotate the gearbox whether in neutral or not. It's a dog drive,  constant mesh,  straight cut gear train which most views fail to take into consideration. In neutral,  all of the gears are rotating except the output gear to final drive sprocket.  It's not a design that's aimed at quietness  :)

When you adjust the clutch, that initial setting of the screw in centre of clutch casing is setting the clearance of the lifter mech to the clutch pack.  Too little play may result in the clutch being held slightly open and so slip.  So they state 1/4 to 1/2 turns out from touching the clutch thrust bearing. This also sets the clutch bite point ultimately as increasing the play here will bring the bite point back toward the handlebar at the lever. Obviously,  the opposite will occur if you run reduced clearance.  It's not a signifier of a worn clutch if the lever bite is a long way out,  just where you've set the clearance (this happens automatically in hydraulically operated clutches,  on the fly as they compensate).  The only real determinant of a worn out friction plate set is to set up the operation of the clutch correctly with specified clearance and then see if it slips.  For this you need to warm it up,  then running under load, maybe third gear uphill,  with enough throttle to be pulling hard,  just ping the clutch lever.  The engine torque should be grabbed instantly and not decay back to gripping slowly/not at all.  This would indicate the clutch pack is too worn to be held tight enough by the springs to transmit the required torque.

The lever bite position is set out quite a way from the bars to avoid non release when the clutch is hot/overheated. If you did a few full bore launches with it the clutch pack will get saturated with heat,  this will move the clutch lift plate away from the thrust bearing (increasing the normally set clearance) and start to move the bite point toward the handlebar,  in extreme cases it stops the rider from being able to disengage the clutch fully and make it difficult to ride.

Any "transmission rattle" is directly affected by the idle smoothness and condition of things like cush drive condition.

Offline Simon46

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2018, 12:19:35 AM »
Gearbox thrash?
1978 Cb750k8 US Import

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal