Author Topic: Speedo damping?  (Read 2355 times)

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: Speedo damping?
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2018, 02:15:30 PM »
Brass tube is fixed to top bridge and doesn't rotate. Spindle passes through hole in brass tube. Needle attaches to top of spindle. Spindle has small alloy cup fixed to it, partially filled  with oil.  As top,small,  alloy cup rotates there is drag between the inner wall of this alloy tube and the outer wall of the brass tube because of the viscous oil between the two tubes. Bottom (large) alloy cup rotates in the magnet.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 02:35:36 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Online kent400

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2018, 03:12:27 PM »
Excellent description Ash and your previous post explained well.

Not all gauges need the damper re-filled. Easy to check, spin the drive with a match stick watching the needle if it drops immediately to zero as soon as the drive stops turning the damping is ineffective. If it slows down as it moves to zero there's a damping effect.  If both gauges are off the bike compare with the tacho as it's a bit unlikely that both gauges would lose their damping. The damping effect of the two may vary slightly but the difference should be obvious.     

Offline Arch stanton

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2018, 04:35:21 PM »
Right then. Its now making sense.
The confusion lay in the "Tube" I perceived the Brass tube to be a Bush.
When i seperated the 2 plates held together with the 2 brass press together things. I noticed some dried out clear substance. This was must have been the remnants of the oil.
Thankyou so much for your enlightenment.
Lastly. What did you use to reseal the hole you drilled?

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2018, 05:07:02 PM »
I used aluminium filled epoxy putty on my 750K0 to seal the hole but you have to make sure the hole and its surrounding are oil free...not an easy task. I used cotton buds and isopropanol (UPVC plastic window cleaner) to clean it, then abraded the outside surroundings of the hole with #600 wet and dry paper to give a key.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 05:08:46 PM by AshimotoK0 »
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Arch stanton

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2018, 05:17:40 PM »
Yes it was the oil contamination that had me wondering.
Things are a lot clearing things up.
Cheers Chaps.

Offline Arch stanton

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2018, 02:05:03 PM »
Hello again.
Just to say Thank you to you all for your  patience, advice & explanations.
Following your advice i have successfully restored the damping on my clocks.
Cheers.
Sean.

Offline Lecram

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
    • Buy High Quality Honda CB four gauge parts online!
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2018, 08:41:35 PM »
I use silicone oil 100,000 CTS. I inject that with a 1.2mm syringe from the top into the damper, after disassembling the damper. That oil is very thick and hard to get this into the damper. So I made a special tool to make it a bit easier (I restore 40-50 gauges each month).
My experience with thinner oil is that this will not last for many years. And the risk of oil leakage is higher.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal