Author Topic: Clutch safety switch  (Read 621 times)

Offline Chris whit

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
Clutch safety switch
« on: September 09, 2018, 09:35:33 PM »
Hi guys , please could you help with the wiring for the clutch switch , the wiring diagram that I have does not show wiring colours or details of connections in the headlight enclosure . Looks like the previous owner had not  connected this and has left the terminals unconnected. Also does anyone know were I can get there speedometer twin bulb holder/wiring loom .
Thanks

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
  • Mad Scientist.... more power Igor ! ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch safety switch
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 07:32:02 AM »
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 10:19:04 AM »
Someone just asked me to explain the circuit. With the clutch pulled in, there is a direct ground path to the negative starter solenoid coil and when you operate the start button this puts 12v onto the positive  coil terminal. With the clutch out, but only when  the neutral switch contacts are  made, there is also an earth path through the blocking diode  to the negative side of the starter solenoid.

What's new to me is it looks like the starter switch disables the lighting circuit when operated, which is a neat feature. You learn something every day  :).
“Alright friends, you have seen the heavy groups, now you will see morning maniac music. Believe me, yeah. It’s a new dawn.” Grace Slick, Woodstock '69 .. In the year of the Sandcast.

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 12:18:46 PM »
The starter switch dissabling the lights was mostly US modles as they have no lights on off switch Ash

Offline Rob62

• SOHC Pro
  • ZZR1100D9, CB750K4, RD250F, NSR250MC21, RD350YPVS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 01:14:39 PM »
Mine is a USA model and has a lights on-off switch...  it does have the clutch switch but not sure if it switches the lights off when pulled in though.. I will check

Offline Bryanj

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 01:38:44 PM »
Its not the clutch switch that turns the lights off its when you push the starter button. If you have an on off switch it has probably been retrofitted with a UK one

Offline Seabeowner

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 01:40:19 PM »
My 78 550K has no lights on/off on the RHS as was standard in US at that time. Ignition on, the headlight comes on. Also no side/pilot light I think. The starter switch is notorious for giving trouble because of its additional function of extinguishing the lights. (to give maximum energy to the starting systems)
Phil
1971  CB500K0  Candy Jade Green or Candy Gold
1973  CB500K1  Candy Ruby Red
1975  CB550F1   Shiny Orange
1978  CB550K     Excel Black

Offline AshimotoK0

• Grogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 04:01:05 PM »
The starter switch dissabling the lights was mostly US modles as they have no lights on off switch Ash

You are right Bryan ...UK wiring diagram starter push button only has single push-to-make contact.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline Chris whit

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 07:52:00 PM »
Thanks guys , really appreciate your help with this .

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal