Author Topic: CB650 bought in buckets  (Read 1562 times)

Offline sipam

• simon
    • View Profile
CB650 bought in buckets
« on: September 13, 2018, 12:32:19 PM »
Hi
I have bought a 1981 CB 650, UK model. Been in someones lockup in old washing up bowls and buckets for 12 years. Last MOT online was 14 years ago. Mileage 32500 miles. Said to be 80% complete. Not sure why taken apart and crankcase split open, some wet oil in exhaust of cylinder 4, otherwise no clue.
There is lots of obvious parts missing, like a loom, stator and many other smaller parts. I am having some real issues locating some parts, either new of second hand. Have had some parts for the USA and Japan so far. I get the impression that this bike is too old but too unloved that the breakers don't acknowledge they have any bits.
I have a Haynes manual and by lucky chance a Honda workshop manual. I am using the internet as a source for parts and a parts catalogue.
Is there anyone out there who has some parts? I have 3 extra Cam Chain tensioners, so happy to swap or sell, is there a 'shop' on this forum for buying and selling.
get in touch if you think you can help me, I'm not expert by any means, a real novice, just dedicated to follow a step by step guide to rebuilding it.
Any help gratefully received.

Simon

Offline Johnwebley

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
Re: CB650 bought in buckets
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 12:59:47 PM »

welcome to the forum,

lots of help here ,

have fun,
lifelong motorcycle rider,and fan

Offline mickwinf

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 01:56:37 PM »
The 650 was never a popular model even when new, so parts may be hard to find. Can be good value nowadays, are you going for a standard rebuild or a custom?
Love the 500 and 550 have a 500 called Lazarus under restoration

Offline hairygit

• SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 02:22:03 PM »
Curious as to what you paid for it!

Sent from my X6pro using Tapatalk

If it's got tits or wheels, it's hassle, if it's got both, RUN!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal