Author Topic: CB650 bought in buckets  (Read 165 times)

Offline sipam

• simon
    • View Profile
CB650 bought in buckets
« on: September 14, 2018, 05:32:06 PM »
So after much searching and praying, a 'doer uper' was found locally for very little money.
With little to no history, and collected in buckets and washing up bowls, just enough to fill the back of a car, this 1981 CB 650 has become my obsession.
As I understand, a not very popular bike, especially here in the UK, this 32500 mile model had been taken apart over 12 years ago. Slowly over the summer I have now built the engine up to as shown in the pictures. Finding parts has been a real struggle, as the crankcases were split, the bolts all over the place.
I have used various reference sources, Haynes and a genuine Honda Workshop Manual, the internet has been invaluable, not sure how we coped before hand.
As you can see the frame is mostly there, electrics are missing, a job for later in the year as funds allow.
I don't intend to, and I apologise to the purists, to put back to stock. i am thinking that this middle aged frame of mine will sit nicely on a slim framed, wide engined cafe racer. Might seem a bit 'en mode' but thats how I see it happening at present.
I'll post some more pics as it develops.
I bought this as a hobby, something to ease my m ind after a day at work. However its become an obsession, with every waking hour contemplating where I might find parts and pieces. So not really as intended.
I'm hoping to have it running by summer 19 as I would like to ride it on our local charity bike ride the 'Martin Jennings ride'.

Online philward

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
Re: CB650 bought in buckets
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 05:47:02 PM »
Sounds like a challenge! Will be stressful at times and more expensive than you estimate but will be hugely rewarding when you finish it -
 eventually!
Current Bikes:-
Kawasaki ZZR1100D3
Honda CB750K2
Honda CR750 Replica
Honda CB750K6 Cafe Racer Project

Offline petermigreen

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 06:17:25 PM »
Well done for introducing yourself and supplying us with some images. Doesn't look half too bad. Not sure what's happening with the centre stand though or have you just got a wobbly floor?

Very friendly and supportive atmosphere here so you've every chance of success in rebuilding your 650.

Good luck, Peter
1944 42WLA
1972 CB750K2 USA Candy Gold
1972 CB500K2 USA Candy Jet Green
1975 CB400F0 USA Ruby Red
1976 DT175C
1982 RD200F

Offline matthewmosse

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 08:01:54 PM »
It's possibly the best way to get a bike in a lot of ways, as you will know your way around the bike and have a very fair idea of where to look for faults and how to fix them by the time you are through. I got my first cb500 and 550s in a collection of bits, mouldy old cardboard boxes full of soiled bits of engine. It taught me a lot, especially as it was before I had internet access so it was a case of scouring classified ads in classic bike magazines. I ended up with 3 mouldy incomplete bikes to build into various machines of varying decrepitude. I did this before doing my full bike test. It would have been far easier in the internet age , a quick read of this forum would have revealed the incompatibility of various engine bits around the clutch, as it was I built a very weird hybrid of cb500 and cb550 bits that actually worked but took about 4 attempts at building up to get the right clutch and gearbox shafts combination. Looks like you have a slightly more sensible start. This forum is a wealth of knowledge and even help with procuring spares.
Got a 500/4 with rust and a sidecar and loadsa bits. nice and original and been round the clock