Author Topic: CR750 Replicas  (Read 10814 times)

Offline Voxonda

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
Re: CR750 Replicas
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2008, 07:57:42 AM »
...................... The s/s discs weigh a ton and say on them that the minimum thickness is a wopping 6mm! My s/s NSR discs say maximum thickness is 3.5mm. Does anyone have experience of machining discs? Does anyone know where I can get the discs drilled? Thanks!

Phil

Hey Phil, I have machined down a few disks, as long as they are not drilled it's ok. If they're drilled you tend to get a vibration in the disk because of the holes and then the surface isn't smooth. Drilling isn't that hard to do, as long as you use sharp drills. Must have a template somewhere in my archive, if you want I will look for it.

Cheers,Rob
Better sorry for failing than for the lack of trying.

Offline Voxonda

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2008, 11:05:18 AM »
Forgot the picture:

Cheers

Offline Andymuck125

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2008, 06:39:26 PM »
I have done a few disc aswell. i skimmed the rear disc on my F1, i think it is 4.5mm now, and most of my mates cars have had a skim at some stage or other  8)

Offline Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2008, 07:30:36 PM »
I want to reduce the (huge!) weight of these discs. Given your helpful advice, should I (a) skim them to 4.5mm or b) drill them? Thanks to all. Phil

Offline lordmoonpie

• If he's not in action, he's in traction...
    • View Profile
    • Moonpie
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2008, 01:50:45 PM »
Hi Phil - if you want to change discs, talk to Len at CAT Engineering, Crwothorne, Berkshire. He can take your stock discs (by post), take them apart, refurbish the centres and rivet on a nice new cast iron rotor, drilled as well which will put you over the bars compared to the standard steel discs. OK cast iron does rust up after getting wet but as long as you scotchbrite the discs when dry they'll last just fine. I had both of mine done by Len on the 750 and also the disc on the 450 racer. I can stop the 450 on a sixpence! They're 290mm diameter but 4mm thick and the stopping power is awesome.

For your rim sizes for the CRMC, suggest you contact their Honda expert, John Davidson and he will be able to help or Gordon Russell the eligibility officer via crmcelig@aol.com. I'm running a WM3 front, WM5 rear btw!
Beware of those who fall at your feet - they may be reaching for the corner of the rug...

Offline Voxonda

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2008, 04:12:33 PM »
Hi my lord,

Do you have a picture of your 750 disk setup?

Cheers, rob

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
  • Ride on the Steel Breeze...
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2008, 07:34:10 PM »
talk to Len at CAT Engineering, Crwothorne, Berkshire.

That's 3 miles from me (and I've never heard of them!

Where are you Moonpie?
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline lordmoonpie

• View Profile
    • Moonpie
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2008, 12:22:39 PM »
Steve - I'm up in Cheshire not that far from Sam. CAT Engineering are very big in the supply of parts for CB350 K4 and CB450 Bomber racing (twins) but have started branching out into CB750s as well. What Len Cooper doesn't know about the CB350/450 race engines isn't worth knowing. You can check it out at their site - http://www.ajhw.co.uk/cateng/racing.html

They're fantastic all round engineers too so any job that you need doing is OK by them and that's where they came in for me to do the 750 discs. Normally they don't go as big as 290mm but did this for me no problem.

Vox - sorry I don't have a picture of the setup on my bike yet, as you'll see from sohc4.net I'm still trying to get too the bottom of the darn fork bracket for the mudguard! I could post some pics of the lovely job done by CAT on these discs though if it's of interest?
Beware of those who fall at your feet - they may be reaching for the corner of the rug...

Offline Voxonda

• SOHC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2008, 03:26:11 PM »
Vox - sorry I don't have a picture of the setup on my bike yet, as you'll see from sohc4.net I'm still trying to get too the bottom of the darn fork bracket for the mudguard! I could post some pics of the lovely job done by CAT on these discs though if it's of interest?

No worries, would like to see pic's of the discs.

Cheers.

Offline Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2008, 04:25:09 PM »
Thank everyone - I will certainly speak to CAT about some iron discs! Phil

Offline lordmoonpie

• View Profile
    • Moonpie
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2008, 06:54:05 PM »
Well I have a nice photo to post but for some reason I don't have the additional option to be able to load the file up?! Any ideas folks?

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2008, 07:56:30 AM »
We should have a FAQ for this:

Posting Pictures

When you post, there is a link called "Additional Options..." to the bottom left of the text box.  Click on this.

Now you can attach a file (usually a JPEG for a picture, but any standard file format can be added to your post) by clicking on the "Browse..." button and selecting the file from your PC.

To add more files, click on "(more attachments)"

Files must be <128kb to upload so please cut those pictures down using a graphics or photo programme.

A maximum of 4 images allowed per upload.

Hosted Image files

If you host you pictures (on photobucket for example), you can insert them into the text field of your post which makes narratives much easier to read. Use the "Insert Hyperlink" button (the one with the globe) and post away!

If you have cut and pasted the URL and it shows only an empty post, try this:

* Right click the picture that you want to display
    * Select "Copy Image Location"
    * Paste into the post between the IMG tags

Resizing Images for Upload (Windows XP)

Here's a question that is asked a lot!  Go to Microsoft Downloads and search for "Resize Picture" - It'll be in the "Power Toys" section. I can't post a direct URL as it moves around.  Download the application and anytime you right-click a picture file (or files) it will allow you too resize them.  Easy.

Uploading an Avatar

You need to be in your "Profile"

In the "Modify Profile" box on the left, click on "Forum Profile Information".  Specify a URL location for your avatar picture or upload it from your PC by using the "I will upload my own picture" radio button.  Anything you type in the "Personal Text" box will appear under your avatar.  Avatar pictures must be no larger than 150 x 150 pixels.

While you are there, fill in the rest of your bio - especially your location.

Also fill in your signature - this will appear at the bottom of every post.  Current bikes, past bikes and a link to your gallery are all good. Big pictures are not so good...

Adding www links to your posts

Anything you type that begins with "www." or "http/:" will automatically be converted into a link.

You can also cut and paste links from the address bar of you browser.

To be really cute, you can use HTML text to post a link with a much more descriptive label (as opposed to an eBay address which stretches across the page and means nothing)

Type this:  [ 8)=http://www.ebay.com]THIS[/ 8)] where   8) = "url"

Which comes out like THIS:   Cool eh? 
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 07:59:17 AM by SteveD CB500F »
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline lordmoonpie

• View Profile
    • Moonpie
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2008, 12:39:03 PM »
Steve - yeah I checked the FAQ and tbh this forum works by and large the same as the US one where I can attach pictures no problem. When I open the additional options here though I get 1)Notify me of replies, 2) return to this topic and 3) don't use smileys checkboxes but no 4) Attachment....

Is there something wrong with my profile setup?!

Offline SteveD CB500K0

• Administrator
  • SOHC Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Steve's Blog
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2008, 09:44:40 PM »
You should see this:
2022 Tiger Sport 660
1971 CB500K0

Offline lordmoonpie

• View Profile
    • Moonpie
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2008, 09:15:47 AM »
Yep - that's exactly what I get - blank space LOL!  :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal