Author Topic: Recovered CB750F1 - fixing broken stuff!  (Read 2393 times)

Offline Moorey

• SOHC Master
    • View Profile
Re: Recovered CB750F1 - fixing broken stuff!
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2018, 04:03:19 PM »
Different on the USA ones then. I was just a bit surprised to see a train weight of 426kg which is the weight including trailer. Which we were not allowed to tow in 1976 in the UK, but maybe so in some mainland Europe countries.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 04:12:11 PM by moorey »

Offline thegreatpan

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2018, 08:34:53 AM »
I have disassembled the ignition lock on my 400 Four, as I wanted to keep the one key operation. When recommissioning my 400,  I found out that the switch part had melted. The mechanical lock part separates from the electronic switch by releasing the plastic tangs. I obviously just needed a new switch part, but be aware there are two types of switch part / barrel parts which are not interchangeable. I have a couple of s/h original parts and a barely used DSS one if they are the same type. Let me know if you want a couple of piccies, I can photograph at the W/E

Offline theriddler

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2018, 09:47:12 AM »
That would be really good if you could... Thanks v. much...
What I am trying to do (because they butchered the lock cylinder on seat lock & smashed the ignition lock ... how they managed to do that without smashing the idiot light cover - I don't know!), is to rebuild the seat lock with a new lock cylinder and replace the top (mechanical half) of the ignition switch. I have a set of SH locks coming in post, which I'm hoping I can get keys cut for from the key code on seat lock?? alternative is to strip down the lock barrels and match the lock wafers up ... we'll see... but any info/piccies up front for me to study would be really good! :)

I have disassembled the ignition lock on my 400 Four, as I wanted to keep the one key operation. When recommissioning my 400,  I found out that the switch part had melted. The mechanical lock part separates from the electronic switch by releasing the plastic tangs. I obviously just needed a new switch part, but be aware there are two types of switch part / barrel parts which are not interchangeable. I have a couple of s/h original parts and a barely used DSS one if they are the same type. Let me know if you want a couple of piccies, I can photograph at the W/E
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 09:53:53 AM by theriddler »
John R - '76 CB750F1

Offline thegreatpan

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2018, 04:06:53 PM »
This shows the white switch part separated from the barrel. I have two barrels and two white switch parts if they're any use. The white switch parts doesn't fit those barrels. Just postage @ cost. If you want a nearly new DSS switch with two keys, I will want half of the DSS costs plus postage

Offline theriddler

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2018, 04:35:29 PM »
This shows the white switch part separated from the barrel. I have two barrels and two white switch parts if they're any use. The white switch parts doesn't fit those barrels. Just postage @ cost. If you want a nearly new DSS switch with two keys, I will want half of the DSS costs plus postage

That would really be great!!! Will get back to you tonite! What would you like for all the parts & postage? Perhaps PM me?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 05:35:32 PM by theriddler »
John R - '76 CB750F1

Offline theriddler

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2018, 08:40:21 PM »
Looking at the 3 pictures above, I think my lock was like the first picture... thanks very much for the parts...
John R - '76 CB750F1

Offline theriddler

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2018, 08:15:21 PM »
Picture of 2 halves of my lock...
Also if you look at 2nd picture above my ignition lock is snaped off where the steel section starts....basically the lock barrel is missing ...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 08:18:21 PM by theriddler »
John R - '76 CB750F1

Offline SumpMagnet

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2018, 10:03:31 PM »
No reason NOT to make an insurance claim as long as the cost exceeds your policy excess...just make sure you get cash in lieu of repairs. Get quotes for parts, send them in, and providing they consent....you can get the money. Not helpful unless the cost goes over your excess.

I have done this in accidents where I was not at fault, as I object to the way certain garages act when they sniff an insurance claim. Suddenly...costs seem to go up. I had a major row with one claims handling firm who attempted to export my bike and sell it for parts on the assumption I was accepting a payout for total loss. What I did was agree to retain the bike for an agreed sum as they refused to give anything like it's value as a write-off. Had to threaten legal action  to get it back. Technically..they stole it. The bike was written off, but I retained clear title to it. When I did get it back...they had damaged it in transit...so I screwed them for that too! I tarted up a few bits and moved it on. Even as a cosmetic writeoff, I got 4 times what they offered as salvage. Plus the settlement..plus the compensation for damage in transit. Ever since...I decided I would not just let insurance companies have their way. You are doing hte right thing keeping control of the vehicle and the claim.

As far as locks go....I have seen articles on filing the pins inside a lock to fit a key. Obviously not the ignition...but possible to do it to the seat lock so it will operate with whatever key you do have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuMuVHxuQSc
CB750F2 - in pieces
CB900F Hornet - the daily transport

Offline theriddler

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2018, 10:12:58 AM »
Thanks for confirming that! Just had a bad feeling about not having control of where the bike was! I'll see about claiming against cost of repair ... could just seeing it winding me up & messing with my blood pressure!
John R - '76 CB750F1

Offline theriddler

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2018, 08:06:30 PM »
Thanks to Dave (thegreatpan) my ignition lock now rebuilt & working well .. fortunately had the correct wafers from one of Dave’s locks & my old seat lock to match my key ... any recommendations on lock lube ...  I was thinking of some form of ptfe dry lube spray but having trouble sourcing something. I have ptfe spray but the aerosol doesn’t seem to evaporate off ... so not really what I’m after?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 08:12:29 PM by theriddler »
John R - '76 CB750F1

Offline thegreatpan

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2018, 09:07:27 PM »
Glad to be able to provide some parts. One less thing to do.

Offline petermigreen

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2018, 10:33:52 PM »
White grease for locks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline theriddler

• SOHC Associate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2018, 05:37:20 PM »
White grease for locks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Doesn’t any form of grease eventually pick up dust & grit & then mess with lock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John R - '76 CB750F1

Offline sye

• SOHC Expert
    • View Profile

Offline petermigreen

• SOHC Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2018, 05:51:44 PM »
Technically yes.
However, what sort of environment will your lock be subject to, to collect sufficient dust and grit to affect the operation of it?
Or do you ride in the desert?
After I had a frame (RD200) blasted and powder coated, the steering lock was jammed solid with blasting media. aerosol white grease got it working again and it still works with no problems.
Just my experience.
Peter

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal